Sutton now has K-Horns !!!

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
Hope That Im not out of line here by telling this but !!!!! Sutton bought a pair Of K-horns !! He is in Florida as I type this but I think he and I will go get them next Wed when im off !!!! Maybe in a day or two he will jump on here and tell us about them !!!!

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Yep...a pair on eBay that happened to be only 50 miles away in Bristol, VA. Started the bidding at $1600.00 and they had new Crites crossovers ! The pictures look good so I hope I've done alright. We will see next week when we go pick them up. I sure have wanted a pair for a few years, and hearing Kevin's sealed the deal. I already have Crites woofers, Al's crossovers, and Scratch hooked me up with BMS midrange drivers. I also have the wooden Traxix horns too. All I really need are Crites tweeters. I think I'm just going to listen to them "modified-stock" for a while...and maybe build new top enclosures in the meantime.. I have to find out if this pair has separate cabinets for top and bottom. That I do not know.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I'm guessing they are the stock K-77's, but I'm not totally sure. They apparently are 1980's vintage except for the Crites crossovers.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Peddle the Crites crossovers on the 'bay........no comparison to the Al K crosses....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The K-33 is what the Crites is modeled after. No reason to change it and the K-77 is a good tweet. Diaphragms are no longer available for the 77 though...

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
The only thing I really know is that they are consecutively numbered 1985 models with Crites crossovers. The Seller really hasn't answered my questions concerning the drivers, but I'm assuming they have the original ones in place. He bought the K's new and is very proud of them and thinks he "took a hit" on the sales price. I will know more when Kevin and I go to get them. The actual drivers didn't make a big difference to me as I knew I would be replacing everything anyway. The only thing I don't have are Bob's tweeters. I have Al' Universal crossovers to go in them along with the drivers I have "in stock".

Thanks for everyone's comments. I am excited....

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The only thing I really know is that they are consecutively numbered 1985 models with Crites crossovers. The Seller really hasn't answered my questions concerning the drivers, but I'm assuming they have the original ones in place. He bought the K's new and is very proud of them and thinks he "took a hit" on the sales price. I will know more when Kevin and I go to get them. The actual drivers didn't make a big difference to me as I knew I would be replacing everything anyway. The only thing I don't have are Bob's tweeters. I have Al' Universal crossovers to go in them along with the drivers I have "in stock".

Nice score Sutton, I hope you like your new speakers...they are classics.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Thank you so much Joe...and everyone for their kind thoughts and comments. I know I'll have them for the long haul. I think, with the Phase Linears and Onix I have obtained with the help and expertise of the people on this Forum, that I finally have the best, and probably last audio components I'll ever need. It's been a fun journey from the time I joined the Forum. Got to love this hobby!

They are 1984 models.

Some people have said 1985 and later are not as good? But, I have no idea if there are differences or not. I also have heard that the SpeakerLab K is actually a better design than the original Klipsch design. I have no idea..

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline

Sutton, the only thing I would change right now are the mids, mid horn and crossover. Leave the woof and tweet till ya fru em. That way you'll know where not to go with the new woofs and tweets..

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Thank you so much Joe...and everyone for their kind thoughts and comments. I know I'll have them for the long haul. I think, with the Phase Linears and Onix I have obtained with the help and expertise of the people on this Forum, that I finally have the best, and probably last audio components I'll ever need. It's been a fun journey from the time I joined the Forum. Got to love this hobby!

They are 1984 models.

Some people have said 1985 and later are not as good? But, I have no idea if there are differences or not. I also have heard that the SpeakerLab K is actually a better design than the original Klipsch design. I have no idea..
You have an outstanding setup Sutton. Don't sweat the small stuff - your system is killer!

Maybe you need a shrink. :jerk:

Attachments

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I think I do need someone to examine my head. The shrink will do nicely..

Two more days and we should be burnin em in!

Last edited:

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Kevin and I picked the speakers up this morning and now are back in Wise County with them. I already have them hooked up and playing just to make sure all the drivers work, and they do. Awesome speakers. I can already tell, even with them in the middle of the room, that I am going to have bass. They do have the K-33, K-55 and K-77 drivers. They sound great, and I am going to enjoy just listening, and this weekend I will move my equipment around so that I can get one of them in a corner. I will have to build a false wall for one of them.

I am in there. Gotta go listen ...

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
A couple of pics of the K's kicking it with my Linus Arrays, La Scalas and WOPLs in the background. These things sound freaking awesome out in the middle of the room. I am more than impressed. They sound even better than I anticapated. The bass is what surprises me most. It is going to be unreal when they get proper placement.

Attachments

Last edited:

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
They sound like you are in the auditorium. I don't know if I will be able to stand it with "upgraded" crossovers, drivers and wooden midrange horn. It is very hard to believe they could be improved upon. Kevin's SpeakerLab K's are the only ones I have ever heard before. I think Paul's model are a little different.

I have not even Sphoongled these yet! All I've even listened to is some streamed Chill and I'm pinching myself.

Attachments