Stylus points with less-than-perfect records

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Is there any reason to worry about playing less than perfect records with your expensive elliptical point? I buy a lot of used vinyl, and of course not all of them are in pristine condition. I won't play a wrecked record with my Ortofon stylus 30, but will a VG graded record pose any threat for premature diamond chipping?

For these VG discs I've been using a Shure M97Xe, for excessively worn or scratched records I use a Sanyo MG29. Absolute wrecks are played on my 1959 record changer.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Yes, you need to save your good turntable/cartridge/stylus for the pristine LP's. May I suggest you put on the Telarc 1812 Overture? First cannon shot...SNAP...sorry about that, it got your subwoofer as well as the cantilever...

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
are there cheap generic nails for the Ortofon that aren't terrible? I generally play whatever on whatever but if its something I worry over I use the $15 generic on my Shure M93E. I've spent more on bad lunches before, so if that got damaged it wouldn't make me cry. I'd just buy another and do it again.

MarkWComer

Tagline
are there cheap generic nails for the Ortofon that aren't terrible? I generally play whatever on whatever but if its something I worry over I use the $15 generic on my Shure M93E. I've spent more on bad lunches before, so if that got damaged it wouldn't make me cry. I'd just buy another and do it again.
Actually it seems that I'm doing the right thing anyway...

The Sanyo MG29 is a generic version of the Goldring Elan (http://www.edsaunders.com/reded.htm), and you can get them for less than $30 with a .6 mil conical point. You can also get an elliptical point and a 3mil for shellac.

I'm shopping for an OM 10 to fit onto my Rek-O-Kut anyway, so I'll probably use the 10 stylus for my lower grade records.

Yes, you need to save your good turntable/cartridge/stylus for the pristine LP's. May I suggest you put on the Telarc 1812 Overture? First cannon shot...SNAP...sorry about that, it got your subwoofer as well as the cantilever...
Damn- Yes... Those digitally mastered Telarc records were phenomenal, weren't they? I have a couple of Deutsche Grammophon and Philips digital master LPs as well. I heard a few stories about the 1812 Overture throwing the stylus out of the groove a couple of millimeters...

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Both appear to have good stylus' but I am not sure how many hours on them

I am thinking $35 shipped each or both for $65 shipped

I also have a Shure V15 type IV w/ new Jico SAS stylus and extra EVG 3610DE for it. I am asking $400 for everything including the killer headshell. Here is my ad on AK

The van repairs wiped out our X-mas money but we need the van so I am offering my barely used Shure V15 type IV w/ Jico SAS stylus to try to make up and salvage the holiday. The stylus is not even broken in yet and the AK'er (truck99) I got it from had very low hours on it prior to trading it to me. I have used it for maybe 2hrs total since I got it w/ the EVG stylus and used my other V15 w/ the NOS Super Track to preserve this one for down the road use. I played one album with the SAS total since I have owned it. The headshell is a very good one also, about as easy to set up and foolproof as you could want. I have had this headshell for many years and have found no info on it but it my main headshell and works excellent with this setup on my PL-550 turntable. I believe it's aluminum but it may be magnesium
I am asking $400 shipped/insured Priority Mail in the US for all this, as you can see, the cart is in beautiful condition aside from some dust, the headshell is included in the price. I am also including a EVG 3160DE which also fits this cartridge and has maybe 2 hrs on it since new (I removed the SAS and used this instead to preserve the SAS)
Please note I don't have the capability to take some of the stylus shots others are capable of on this board
This cart w/ the SAS and the extra EVG stylus should last a lifetime between the two
I loathe to let this go but I have to do what's best for the family
PayPal F/F please or add 3% fee to: topeliminator@earthlink.net
Please post SOLD and PM me your shipping info

EVG

Better shot of Jico SAS

If interested, my PayPal is: topeliminator@earthlink.net add 3% fee if paying regular way (I prefer Friends/Family)

Regarding the OM10, the headshell is not included with the one that is shown mounted

Last edited:

MarkWComer

Tagline
Both appear to have good stylus' but I am not sure how many hours on them

If interested, my PayPal is: topeliminator@earthlink.net add 3% fee if paying regular way (I prefer Friends/Family)

Regarding the OM10, the headshell is not included with the one that is shown mounted
Just sent $35 + 3%, don't need the headshell. Mailing address included with the PayPal note.
Thanks- and the V15 looks tasty, but I already blew my budget on a preamp.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Mark, it shipped this morning, I pm'd you the tracking. Thanks!
Checks out just fine! I also found a DJ stylus in my box of junk that will fit it, a blunter point might not pick those scratches out as badly as an elliptical would. The point on the OM looks good, too.

Thanks!