Stark designs SE-2 rebuild

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
Hey guys, my pops has the bug again and we need to breathe some life to his old SE-2's! He bought these speakers along with a Sansui AU-7900 back in the 70's. They are trashed with only the cabinets and crossover left original. I would like to replace to 10" woofer and the tweeter As well. I would like the cabinets to stand well on their own, but also plan to supplement the bottom with a sub and amp. I'm not sure what the crossover frequency is and don't have the cabinets in front of me to look at electronic components.

Anyone have some SE-2's?

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
It seems there isn't much information available a it these speakers available on google other than guys saying "yeah I had a pair of them back in the day"... I was able to coach my father through testing the crossover this week and it came in at ~3000hz. As the cabinets have already been modified (he blew the tweeters in the 70's), he is not opposed to modifying a little more. I ordered a pair of bass guitar 10's and compression horns as this provided a very smooth response down to 60hz, only thing is the cabinets will now be a ported design. I couldn't find a speaker with a smooth response as a sealed cabinet.

These cabinets be will be powered by a Sansui AU-7900 ruining stereo at about 150~200hz then supplemented with a LAB15 sub powered by a QSC USA900 running 20hz-150~200hz. Parts start arriving tomorrow, looks like my father better dust off his table saw and start building a sub!

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
I hope it works out for him, he's got the bug back and we just had the Sansui tuned up. She was making some noise in the pre-amp section and needed some transistors replaced. He listening to it through a pair of shite pawnshop speakers right now since my stuff went east. Be nice to get him back into some proper sounding speakers.

Oh yeah, guess what I may have a line on. Wait for it.... Wait... K HORNS!!!! Just found out where a set is at and buddy's wife said it them or her. His loss could be my gain...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
No, I wanted to ask what they go for. They are supposed to be the real deal, oak cabinets in mint shape. I don't think they're available ASAP but I'm keeping my eye on them. It sounds like this guy has some nice stuff so I'm sure they won't be a real steal. Just wondering what a fair price is.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Yeah oak veneer, and I'm not sure what vintage they are. I will ask, but as I said, I don't think they will move for a while yet.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Bought mine for $1675.00, and they are 1984 models, all original in really good shape. I'd try to get him down a little on price. They are not going for quite as much as they use to. You can check on eBay sold listings and see....and keep in mind that eBay takes 15-20% right off the top...you should be able to get them for a good price..without the eBay fees, mine would have been more like $1500.00

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
My father got the new speakers fitted. Had to make a filler panel where the old tweeters were and still looking for the original grill covers, they're around, but stored somewhere. Ports are in the back. He's got to build a cabinet now for the sub.

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Bought mine for $1675.00, and they are 1984 models, all original in really good shape. I'd try to get him down a little on price. They are not going for quite as much as they use to. You can check on eBay sold listings and see....and keep in mind that eBay takes 15-20% right off the top...you should be able to get them for a good price..without the eBay fees, mine would have been more like $1500.00
Thanks, I'll keep you guys posted as I know more about the K's.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
That's a bad ass lookin woof...
It's an Eminence LAB15. They are used as subwoofers and also horn loading. For this application it's going in a 10^3 foot ported cabinet and should have response from 20hz to about 150hz, then the Sansui and the Starks take over for stereo duty.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
It's an Eminence LAB15. They are used as subwoofers and also horn loading. For this application it's going in a 10^3 foot ported cabinet and should have response from 20hz to about 150hz, then the Sansui and the Starks take over for stereo duty.
If you want a good woofer, keep an eye out for the NHT 1259. They are findable but don't come up all that often, long out of print.

Great for subs and woofers in general. I would not steer you wrong.

View attachment NHT1259_FAQ.pdf

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
He found the grille covers! Seems one of the tweeter level controls is acting up a bit, probably just dirty. These cabinets have been buried in storage for probably 20 years after all. Hopefully some contact cleaner brings it back to life. It works on +3dB but not -6,-3, or normal. Wouldn't be to much of a problem except these horns are pretty efficient compared to the 10" woofers. The -3dB setting should be about right.

Attachments