Spikes for speakers

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Want to strat to try to get rid of feedback to turn table though my speakers are on concrete floor I can still feel vibration through my feet through the floor so was looking for spikes to but on the bottom of my speakers. I saw some on ebay but they are stupid expensive for what they are.. How bought I make my own out of bolts just grind the tips down a bit??

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
That seems like an economical way to do it. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

I understand shying away from the cost of buying those nice shiny new cones. The brick and mortar here wanted $22. Each for the base that goes under the cone (you won't need them...concrete floor)....I drilled 50cent pieces that work great!

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"I drilled 50cent pieces that work great!" love it! I could just put some black paint on the bolts and they would look brand new

That seems like an economical way to do it. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

I understand shying away from the cost of buying those nice shiny new cones. The brick and mortar here wanted $22. Each for the base that goes under the cone (you won't need them...concrete floor)....I drilled 50cent pieces that work great!

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I use two plastic crates and drape them with two matching towels in my bedroom. Speaker stands are probably much better than putting marks in the cabinets, especially if you hope to get good money selling them or trading someday.

I am not fond of spikes. Why would you pound a nail in your foot, so to speak, from the bottom up and expect to walk well, as a metaphor?

orange

Tagline
Ray, putting them on spikes doesn't solve the problem, physically moving the speakers away from the table or dampening the vibrations under the table does. Sound pressure is caused by the vibration of the speaker pushing air out around it and that physical energy makes the vibrations.

You simply have too much rockin' in one spot. Getting if off the floor is a great idea but again I don't like defacing cabinets and I always fretted when I would see spiked bottoms after the fact.

But getting them off the floor is a lot easier and cheaper to do without spikes.

My CD changer has a problem with vibrations but I dampened it with that cellular foamed sheeting I sometimes get in packaging and by other means to prevent it from skipping. Now I have more dirty CD skips than vibration skips

And I have active crossover Pioneers with a an 8" mid-woofer and a 12" woofer, midrange and tweeter near the stack.

NavLinear

Want to feel vibration through my feet so was looking for spikes. I saw some on ebay but they are stupid expensive for what they are.. How bought I just grind the tips down a bit??
Maybe you should try a pair of one of these. :shaking:

Attachments

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I built pallets to bring them up off the floor a bit bit it did not help I did try to set one up on a milk crate but these speakers are to front heavy from the massive woofer magnets they were kind of tippy would not take much for the to fall over foward. They are not the heaviest speakers in the world they come in at about 90 lbs. as far as modifying the cabs I have no problems with that I built these speakers myself 25 years ago with the help of a friend who had a computer program to determine inside cabinet volume size and port length and size determined by woofer specs they went through a couple modes in the early days and I have no plans to ever sell them.

My CD player does not skip very often but I do plan to also attack the rack and build some sort of isolation platform to put under the TT to dampen it...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
To test the dampening characteristics of a CD player some Shpongle is called for....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Or the digeridoo on Divine Moment of Truth, or better yet Star Shpongled Banner off of Tales of the Inexpressible....

orange

Tagline
And as you can tell from my avatar, electrical tape is a fashion accessory.

orange

Tagline
Carpet remnants and leftover pieces of the padding are dirt cheap too...

orange

Tagline
Redemption for ugly old shag.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Thinking of putting valve springs from an old GM head under the legs the TT shelf sits on as well

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
how about an atv or small wheel size motorcycle tire tube with a piece of plywood or particle board sitting on top of the tube to set the tt on? would be like air suspension or a couple hot water bottles wold be like a water bed for tt platform? just thinking outside the box here

Sounds too stiff.