Speaker hookup question

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
How do I hook both sets of my CV's to one amp? Is it series so it does not change impedence? How would I do that so as not to hurt my amp. A guy is stacking DQ's w/ a WOPL and my CV's are not amp killers obviously. A diagram of how the wires should be run would be helpful

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Series would be the only way, but they will be out of phase with each other and the amp will lose damping factor of the woofers....If you put them in parallel they will show about 3.4 ohms to the amp....should be doable...watch the heat....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Nothing to it, 2 positives from the amp left to the left speakers, 2 negative from amp left to the left speakers, same from the right....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
How do I hook both sets of my CV's to one amp? Is it series so it does not change impedence? How would I do that so as not to hurt my amp. A guy is stacking DQ's w/ a WOPL and my CV's are not amp killers obviously. A diagram of how the wires should be run would be helpful

Thanks in advance
I just had to direct a guy to a wiring diagram to do just that. As you know, running 2 sets of speakers to the same posts (parallel) is not recommended. You will have issues.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Series would be the only way, but they will be out of phase with each other and the amp will lose damping factor of the woofers....If you put them in parallel they will show about 3.4 ohms to the amp....should be doable...watch the heat....
Not recommended to run both speakers twisted together on the same posts.
The amp will see LOW LOW LOW impedence. It sounds like shit too. There is a way to do it.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
You could do parallel if you put a fan on your amp and stay reasonable with the volume knob, but I have a feeling reasonable is not your purpose here. If you're gonna crank you better go series. Not sure how it'll sound though, just have to try it.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
You could do parallel if you put a fan on your amp and stay reasonable with the volume knob, but I have a feeling reasonable is not your purpose here. If you're gonna crank you better go series. Not sure how it'll sound though, just have to try it.

Sounds terrible, detrimental to your amp. Even a fan won't save it.

Do not wire in parallel.

Just sayin.....

Nobody would recommend this.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Read this: https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech-corner/speaker-impedance-power-handling-and-wiring

The rating of a speaker is given for AC (basically audio). If you put an ohm meter across your speaker posts, you'll read around 4 ohms resistance, even less with a pair in parallel. Just going by what I have studied. Series Parallel wiring is recommended or use 16 ohm speakers when wanting to run parallel.... Try a set in parallel if you want. It sounds like shit and ain't the correct way to wire. Just saying

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
4 ohms. But throw in the rest of the speakers and crossovers and you wont see 4.

Depends on the crossover. Some are made to show a certain impedence to the amp. My K's measure 8 on the dot, the D9's I had measured 6.8.
Parallel is doable, but as Gibsonian mentioned, ya gotta be on your toes till ya know how things are going to act. Fred has some speakers that show a wicked load, so bad in fact, he defeats the protection circuit built into the board by taking D9, D10 out of circuit. He keeps a close eye on shit too.

Series really fucks with damping factor and parallel leads to wicked loads, so there is no good answer to the series/parallel question. Both are doable and both have their drawbacks. The ideal situation, as we are all aware of here is put another amp on the job. I'm not averse to running 4 ohms and below on a WOPL, just gotta keep em cool...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Depends on the crossover. Some are made to show a certain impedence to the amp. My K's measure 8 on the dot, the D9's I had measured 6.8.
Parallel is doable, but as Gibsonian mentioned, ya gotta be on your toes till ya know how things are going to act. Fred has some speakers that show a wicked load, so bad in fact, he defeats the protection circuit built into the board by taking D9, D10 out of circuit. He keeps a close eye on shit too.

Series really fucks with damping factor and parallel leads to wicked loads, so there is no good answer to the series/parallel question. Both are doable and both have their drawbacks. The ideal situation, as we are all aware of here is put another amp on the job. I'm not averse to running 4 ohms and below on a WOPL, just gotta keep em cool...
So to the average dude jamming, safety would be to stick to the advertised wiring scheme? After all, on the fin of a PL 700, it don't show hooking up 2 sets to the same posts. I won't warranty an amp for use stated earlier. Running a single set of 4 ohm speakers is one thing..... and they don't equate.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I got a set of Klipsch clones with a 16 ohm woof, a set of epicure 20's and a set of klipsch bookshelf's and they all are rated for 8 ohms but the ohm meter shows about 4.3 ohms on all of them at the speaker posts.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
My RL-11 pre has outputs for 2 amps. Why not play it safe and run 2 amps? Or, I may split the pre out to run 2 amps. Don't know why anybody would risk an expensive amp just to have another set of speakers running. It aint gonna be twice as loud. Maybe even less than one set??? $200 speakers, $2000 amp..... Hmmmmmm

You must have a magic set of crossovers. I have never seen a set being 8 ohms on the dot. How's about a screen shot.

Like they say on phoenix, no picture? It didn't happen... :)