SoundSmith Carmen----Just Wow!!!

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Got my new Carmen installed today.....Wow!!!!! Straight out of the box she sounds amazing. She has a hand carved Ebony body and utilizes a moving iron stylus. I am a believer--she is the best of both worlds. Intricacies and nuances of a moving coil with high enough sensitivity that she only needs a MM phono input. I can only believe that with a little time under her belt she will only blossom into sheer beauty. I have been playing with a Grado Prestige Red and a Ortophon 2M Blue both of which put a smile on my face. Both offer a big step up in dynamics, balanced frequency response, and both throw pretty good images compared to the 2M red that comes standard on a lot of tables......if your looking for a cart in the $200 range either offer a very satisfactory sound and throw a real good stage. There is depth and a little presence with both. The Grado seems a little warmer in the mids, the 2M Blue offers great detail and for the few dollars more that it cost than the Grado.....to the ear, they were pretty equal. Then comes the Carmen. It is like going from standard definition to 4K. Holy crap......resolution off vinyl I have never experienced except at shows and high dollar showrooms. She pulls out so much of the micro details hiding in the grooves.....it is chin dropping. I was immediately pulled in to whatever I threw at her. Eagles-Hotel California.....yes we have BASS for days........Scorpions-The Zoo......OMG.....she doesn't collapse on crescendos......Dire Straights-Money for Nothing.....details I have never heard coming off this piece of vinyl......this thing uncovers everything. Dug out some AC/DC albums I bought when I was still in high school....they are not what I would grade as mint by any means. Very low surface noise.....almost non existent.....almost. I know times are tough for most of us.........the only way I wound up with this is by trading in some of my SouthWest Airlines miles for Amazon gift cards and treated myself to a new Oppo 205 and this. BUT......if you have a great turntable and want or need a great cartridge.....and have a spare $800 to spend on one.......I truly believe she is the sweet spot in their lineup. She has all the trickle down technology of her high dollar siblings, the moving iron stylus, and only requires a MM phono input. Can't go wrong with this one :headbang::laughing6::laughing6:

Attachments

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Got my new Carmen installed today.....Wow!!!!! Straight out of the box she sounds amazing. She has a hand carved Ebony body and utilizes a moving iron stylus. I am a believer--she is the best of both worlds. Intricacies and nuances of a moving coil with high enough sensitivity that she only needs a MM phono input. I can only believe that with a little time under her belt she will only blossom into sheer beauty. I have been playing with a Grado Prestige Red and a Ortophon 2M Blue both of which put a smile on my face. Both offer a big step up in dynamics, balanced frequency response, and both throw pretty good images compared to the 2M red that comes standard on a lot of tables......if your looking for a cart in the $200 range either offer a very satisfactory sound and throw a real good stage. There is depth and a little presence with both. The Grado seems a little warmer in the mids, the 2M Blue offers great detail and for the few dollars more that it cost than the Grado.....to the ear, they were pretty equal. Then comes the Carmen. It is like going from standard definition to 4K. Holy crap......resolution off vinyl I have never experienced except at shows and high dollar showrooms. She pulls out so much of the micro details hiding in the grooves.....it is chin dropping. I was immediately pulled in to whatever I threw at her. Eagles-Hotel California.....yes we have BASS for days........Scorpions-The Zoo......OMG.....she doesn't collapse on crescendos......Dire Straights-Money for Nothing.....details I have never heard coming off this piece of vinyl......this thing uncovers everything. Dug out some AC/DC albums I bought when I was still in high school....they are not what I would grade as mint by any means. Very low surface noise.....almost non existent.....almost. I know times are tough for most of us.........the only way I wound up with this is by trading in some of my SouthWest Airlines miles for Amazon gift cards and treated myself to a new Oppo 205 and this. BUT......if you have a great turntable and want or need a great cartridge.....and have a spare $800 to spend on one.......I truly believe she is the sweet spot in their lineup. She has all the trickle down technology of her high dollar siblings, the moving iron stylus, and only requires a MM phono input. Can't go wrong with this one :headbang::laughing6::laughing6:
Glad to hear your very positive review Kevin. Sounds like a keeper...

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
The Carmen is one of the best affordable carts out there. It was the best I ever owned. Only cart's I have that can compete comfortably with it are the Benz M2 and the Ortofon MC20 Super II w/ the level 2 retip and fancy beryllium cantilever

Only complaint I ever had about the Carmen is that the base of the body may hit a record with a slight warp. They ride very low because of that round bump that protects the cantilever from being collapsed in the event the stylus is accidently dropped on a record hard. Sound wise, they are pure sex