Sony TC-K677ES

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Hi all,

Yesterday, I dropped into the local mini flea market after work. I usually drop in there once a week. There were three cassette decks grouped together that had just been put on display at the back of the store where the major electronics are kept. One of the decks was a Sony TC-K677ES. Speaking to Jack, the store owner, I found out it was from the owner who had passed away and his brother had donated all of the stereo components to the flea market on behalf of his brother.

Do I need another cassette deck? Not really, but I'm choosy when it comes to which ones I decide to try out. For a paltry $20, it was mine. I did all the usual tape path cleaning, demagnetization, but didn't pull the cover off the deck. Plugged in a Deep Purple pre-recorded tape to try it out, tonight. Not too bad, at all.

Nando.

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Wow Nando, another great find. Nice looking deck.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Nice scroe, I mean score Nando!
You're slowly becoming an ES convert ... :laughing8:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
The dude just keeps stacking them up ... :happy2:

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thanks Ben & Tony. Big difference in construction quality between the 677ES and my 950ES. I don't know whether I would go the trouble to have this one gone through by a tech.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Didn't have to - just bought her a bottle of red wine.

Nando.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
$20? Some people have all the luck! You can't get a cheap- branded walkman for that!

Elite-ist

Staff member
The wine will be gone in a sitting, but I will still have a deck. If I was any smoother, my middle name would have been "Slip 'n Slide."

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
The wine will be gone in a sitting, but I will still have a deck. If I was any smoother, my middle name would have been "Slip 'n Slide."

Nando.
Slip & Slide LMAO !

Hey, you paid less for that deck than many a smooth bottle of quality vino - and you're right - the bottle tasting session can be short lived.
But tasting a different deck is a fun endeavor and lasts a lot longer.

You simply can't shake a stick at $20 ...

Elite-ist

Staff member
Women do love their wine. Hopefully, this deck will pass the recording test, too. I like to use pre-recorded tapes to test playback and check for Dolby mistracking. If it does well with pre-recorded tapes and doesn't damage the tape, then I can trust playing mix tapes with it. This deck is fine so far. Next up is another pre-recorded one, Eric Clapton's "24 Nights" - a tape I know well.

Click on image to play video:

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Fairly clean to begin with, Tony. Does this have a TCM-200 transport?

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Fairly clean to begin with, Tony. Does this have a TCM-200 transport?

Nando.
Nope, not the Sherman Tank 200D.

But doesn't matter. It's still a reliable mechanism. And much easier to replace belts on if needed.

Last edited:

Miracle Mile

Thanks Ben & Tony. Big difference in construction quality between the 677ES and my 950ES. I don't know whether I would go the trouble to have this one gone through by a tech.

Nando.
Wow! Nice find Nando!

Does this one have a noisy capstan motor or is it still silent?

Dazen1

Plenty of this kind of gear in the UK - but never at these prices.

Well done Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Miles: It is quiet for now. Do you know if there are any other must-do minor servicing things to do on this model of deck?

Daren: I get a little sheepish when I post about another acquisition - especially if it's a cassette deck. Believe me, I'm doing this for the benefit of the forum to drum up a little excitement and not for my own self-satisfaction.

Nando.