Sony TA-F630 ESD Integrated Stereo Amplifier

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Hi all,

I picked up this gem this past Sunday. A week prior, Geri and I were perusing through the aisles of the local mini flea market. Jack, the store owner, exclaimed, "I've got a load of stereo gear in!" Most of the components were stacked in the back room of the store and hadn't been put on display for the public, yet. A gentleman had passed away and his system ended up being donated to the Squamish mini flea market. There were a number of pieces that had come in, but only one I had eyes for, and that was the Sony integrated amplifier. So, I told Jack I would probably be interested in it if it worked. Geri replied, "If you decide to get it, remember something else (meaning another piece of equipment) has to go." Good deal, I thought. Jack told me he would give me first dibs on it and squirreled it away until he could test it. Well, Sunday came and I checked in once again at the flea market. Jack said "It works, but I want $75 for it." More than reasonable, I thought, and the sale was completed.

I got it home, popped off the cover and gave it a cleaning. It is in very good shape and I just love this vintage of Sony ES gear. Once I patch it into a system, later this week, I will offer up more pictures of it and more comments.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I have a Sansui G-5500 receiver I have from the original owner I could make some good coin on as a consignment sale. It will probably net me for more than $75.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thank you, Tony. It's a nice amp. I am finding less Pioneer Elite gear and more Sony ES gear, lately. Do you know much about this lineage of integrated amplifier?

Nando.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
You didn't seem like a guy who had gear limits imposed on? Oh well you can't use em all anyway. Good to know she puts her foot down after 50 pieces of gear.

Elite-ist

Staff member
John: Geri had me sign a pre-nuptial. It stipulates a vintage gear limit and I am close to that threshold.

Nando.

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Thank you, Tony. It's a nice amp. I am finding less Pioneer Elite gear and more Sony ES gear, lately. Do you know much about this lineage of integrated amplifier?

Nando.
You can tell by the styling that it is 1994 model year or newer, for starters.
More than likely from the 1995/96 line up. I'm not familiar with the model number.
Looks like a variation of the earlier vintage 700ES integrated amp.
Perhaps a specialized market offering. Is it Canadian voltage?
The rounded corners, the tiered fascia and presence of more knobs than buttons all represent the last running line of ES components.
It's one of the integrated amp offerings during the time of the TC-K series of decks - like KA3 or Scott's KA7, the TA-N9000ES monster amp, the venerable CDP-XA7ES
(which you can read more about over on Vintage Snob), and which is a close follow-on cousin to your X7 spinner and then there were various other home theater receivers
when Dolby Digital really started taking off after the Pro-logic era. All of these mentioned have that rounded corner, tiered look to them.
Gone were the standard rosewood colored side panels too.

Sony probably issued more receiver models between 1994 and 2002 than anybody else.
The integrated amp market was massively shrinking in favor of the explosion of multi channel, home theater receivers, so this is rare beast you have there.
Rare because it's variant model number and due to the fact people simply weren't buying integrated amps at the consumer level ... much.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
You have no competition from me, Tony. Webbie is the closest to de-throning you, and he has been scaling back. I appreciate your input on my amp. Yes, it's North American voltage. I bet it's going to sound nice.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Bah humbug. You better make sure she upholds the knitting needle thresholds too. :happy3:
Good point, John. Her fetish is history books on Canadiana. The bedroom dresser is becoming a landing spot for all her latest books.

Nando.