Showdown- YBA 2 Preamp vs Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 Preamp

braxus

Journeyman
I used the same SACD player output with splitters to 2 cables- each to each preamp. I then disconnected the preamp output from one preamp to the other preamp and connected that to the main amp. So basically I should be getting the same signal into both preamps and the outputs are separated from each other when going into the amp. Amp used was a YBA 2 HCDT. Speakers were B&W Matrix 804. There is a sub in the system, but its so low of volume when listening, that it really didn't effect the sound from the main speakers much at all. You have to sit back further in the room to really hear the sub.

I used 2 CDs for this first test and I listened to 3 songs. The first two tracks of Sting's Soul Cages and track 5 of Shostakovich's Symphony #9. I played the music first with the SFL-2 tube preamp and then switched to the solid state YBA. First thing I noticed when I went to the YBA was how much louder this preamp is then the tube pre. I had to dial back the volume to get it around the same level as the Sonic Frontiers. Instead of 11 oclock of the SFL-2, I was at around 9 oclock on the YBA. So it makes me wonder if using the tube pre, that I can crank the volume well past the 12 oclock position without distortion? I didn't test this theory. The YBA had a bit more snap and dynamics then the Sonic Frontiers. Not that the SFL-2 is bad, but its not quite at the same level. Music sounded more raw on the YBA 2 and clarity more so. The SFL-2 sounded a bit more lush and smoother, with a false sense of air. The YBA sounded more focused and the music escaped the speakers a bit more then the SFL-2. The music sounded more from the speakers with the SFL-2. I still couldn't get the YBA to produce that magic sound I heard on Shostakovich's 9th symphony, where the horn blares out in mid air in the room. Yet the horns did sound more there then the SFL-2. Maybe a bit louder maybe? There is a more raw direct sound coming from the YBA. I'm surprised that my Rotel pre did as well as the YBA in terms of space in music. Its definitely a good value for a pre to get the Rotel RC-995 which is a very musical preamp. I didn't use the Rotel in this test, but I do recall its sound compared to what I heard today.

I certainly could play more music to get an even better idea of the sound of these 2 pres. That said, the YBA is a better match to the amp as expected. The Sonic Frontiers is not far behind, but in total terms of sound, the YBA did a bit better. The only thing I don't like about the YBA pre is there is no on off button on this unit, as once you plug it in- its permanently on. Some people leave their pres on all the time anyway, but my listening sessions are so far in between, that I really don't want to be burning up the electricity and wearing the internals down from being left on all the time. I think I will be using the YBA in my main system, since it is a better match to the sound I like. The Sonic Frontiers will go into my secondary system.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Does your tuner have an outlet?

Problem solved. You plug it into the tuner outlet.

If not, you switch a power strip, unless your station memory goes away.

braxus

Journeyman
Hi Steve,

I can power this through my conditioner which does have an off button. So its really not an issue. For today I just unplugged it for now.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Thanks for filling us in on the showdown, Scott. I suppose your power amplifier doesn't have a switched AC Outlet to plug your preamplifier in to?

Will you be keeping both preamps for awhile?

Nando.

braxus

Journeyman
No amp doesn't have a power outlet. Again not worried because my power conditioner has an on off switch which I can plug it into to turn it off.

I plan on keeping both preamps. Tube preamp will go into my secondary system. I've invested too much in the tube pre to get rid of it. It still needs service and I wouldn't think of selling it before it was repaired. No I'm gonna keep it. I can use my Rotel pre in a 3rd system or for backup if needed.

Last edited:

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Nice that you could do that. Easy way to make up your mind.

I power everything thru a conditioner also but isn't it true that you have to turn a tube pre on before the amp?

Trying a new pre myself tonite. The only way to A/B was play a cd through one then switch wiring. Didn't take long to figure which one is staying though.

braxus

Journeyman
Holy Crap,

What an improvement! I sent off my Sonic Frontiers for repairs to replace the heat damaged parts in the unit. He replaced a bunch of caps and resistors, plus replaced the tube sockets. I got the unit home tonight and once again put it into my main system against the YBA. The air around the music is much more then my solid state YBA, and the clarity that my tech said went up 7 times that mentioned is hyper real now. My YBA sounds thin in comparison. The only thing is the YBA still has better snappier dynamics. It has a sharper sound then the Sonic Frontiers. That said it was like comparing my tech's Solaris phono pre to my YBA phono pre. Same differences. I think I'll actually switch the Sonic Frontiers back into my main system and put the YBA in the secondary system. I still heard slight noises coming from the speakers when nothing was playing, but I think I can live with that. Its not intrusive, but subtle.

braxus

Journeyman
I'll also add that the stereo shop owner said that the Sonic Frontiers is very well built. He mentioned if they were to build that preamp today, it would cost 10 grand.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
That's a dramatic improvement. Well-worth the expense to have your tech upgrade the preamp. I can't wait to get a chance to visit the shop with you on Saturday.

Nando.

braxus

Journeyman
Here's a pic of all the parts he removed from the unit and replaced. Not many shops give you this stuff back, but the really good ones do, to show that they indeed replaced parts.

Attachments

orange

Tagline
I don't see that many octal bases replaced in antique radios...hmm.

orange

Tagline
What makes a tube base a replacement candidate, plastic? The old stuff was ceramic or bakelite.

braxus

Journeyman
He said the connections on the bases couldn't be reformed and were at end of life, so he replaced them. The originals were giving noise into the pre.