Shout out to Sam....need a hand

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Craporola, the TEAC is acting up again, it seems to have a problem when you play the first side of a tape, It did this once before, then again tonight, munched up a good MX-G, I think it may be heat?, the transport gets hot after a long play session, I'm at a loss as to why this would happen? the tape looks wicked scrunched up, not like a normal mess, just pinched together side to side.

I know these decks are rare (V-8000 S) I have no skills to repair or even to open it up, just wanted your thoughts on the matter, Thanks, Craig

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Does your head rotate for autoreverse?

Seriously.

I think it's not getting the Chevette to the gas station.

Where is the heat coming from in specific?

You are going to have to unplug, unscrew the lid and find what's getting hot, the transformer of a servo/solenoid. A bad transformer may not be getting enough power out if it's being transferred as heat. A bad servo or part attached could be straining that section.

Try flipping A and recording in reverse (with a TYPE I, some seminar tape or junk you can lose)! Inspect the head action first.

Is MX-G a variety with known shell problems or other defects such as thin tape?

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I think stuwee is talking about his 3-head Teac V-8000 or something like that. As far as the tape getting munched it sounds to me like a dirty tape path or dirty pinch rollers or incorrect pinch roller pressure. As for the heat, some electronics run warmer than others. Is the heat new or has it always been running warm? If you are running it all day long no doubt it may produce some warmth.

Let Sam chime in for the correct diagnosis though.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Web Police said:
I think stuwee is talking about his 3-head Teac V-8000 or something like that. As far as the tape getting munched it sounds to me like a dirty tape path or dirty pinch rollers or incorrect pinch roller pressure. As for the heat, some electronics run warmer than others. Is the heat new or has it always been running warm? If you are running it all day long no doubt it may produce some warmth.

Let Sam chime in for the correct diagnosis though.
As far as the heat, it's always smelled hot in the transport area since I got it, when I put my hand on the top area, it's quite warm, I've had it on and running 24/7 the last few days...and no munching (go figure eh?).

The pinch rollers and all that are spotless clean, nothing seams amiss there, weird?

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Must be a bad batch of MX-G tapes. I'd pack em all up and send them to WP for further evaluation.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Well here I am,
I have been pretty busy working at home. The Radio job took a hike last week so now I am working full time in the bench area and the computer area as two of my computer mysteriously went down with Trojans just after I put Comcast on line. After two days of fooling around the computers are back up and running.
As to the V8000, I have seen either none of them or maybe just one. These were marketed after I left the Chicago Factory Service facility for the last time. Not the Teac owned one but the one that Denny Camp bought from them and ran for a number or years.
I would be glad to look at it to see if the problem could be resolved. The heat has to be coming from somewhere. In that, if it was excessive I would work to make it less even if
modification was needed. Things can get warm but a bad design or broken circuit will allow things to get too hot. In electronics it is always wise to keep things as close to room temp as possible. If you are looking for a fast experience answer I would consult Russ Bachmann at New Jersey Factory Service as it is likely he has seen more of these than I.
As of the job end about Tuesday last week, repairs have been coming in like hot cakes and I am going to have trouble keeping up. I don't work an 8 hour day at home it is
from 8 AM or earlier to Midnight with distractions like checking E mail and taking in units
as they may present themselves.
I would make sure the unit is working on 120 Vac setting and then determine where the heat is coming from- maybe a shorted solenoid driver. Could be a power supply regulator is shorted. I would have to investigate. Heat can cause havoc with parts but the items of concern are that the pinch roller is not skewing the tape- this causes longitudinal damage to the tapes and if the take-up was to stop and the tape pile up at the pinch roller- this causes take eats that are the most serious. A torque gauge on the unit will tell a story even before a malfunction is had. That is why it is important to keep the take-up mechanism in good shape in that some people ignore excessive torque or allow for weak values. Both are indications that trouble is on it's way.

In the future- if I don't answer quickly feel free to send directly to my new E mail
address which is skywavebe@comcast.net
Sorry for the delay

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
OH, for those of you that don't know what I am talking about at New Jersey Factory Service- this is the contact info you should keep track of.
Russ Bachmann is a fine fellow and needs our business to stay in the field. If he leaves it then there will be one less Teac Tech standing and there are not too many the way it is.

NEW JERSEY FACTORY SERVICE, Inc.
35 B WHITNEY ROAD
MAHWAH, NEW JERSEY 07430
(201) 847.0080 201 847.0040 FAX
njfsdigital@erols.com

He also works on Dat units, CDRW recorders- I used to send the ones from Moody to him and they came back like new every time. He knows what he is doing.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Sam, I am sorry to hear about your gig with Moody. Don't feel the blues, find a new wavelength and keep excited.

If your transmission ceases, call AAMCO

Or maybe the folks at WLS

AM humor may be narrow but it goes places

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Sorry to hear about the Job. If you want I know a good IT who might help you with a website. Just a thought. Did you get the products you wanted to list on the Phoenix site. We do need more of a R2R presence on the site. At least you got a republican senator now. LOL

Larry