Should I use an rca splitter?

Makymak

Journeyman
Where the sun meets the rocks and the sea
Hello Phoenix!

Well, I need to connect a third deck on my integrated amp but this particular amp has only two tape loops. Using rca splitter cables is a good idea? Or it will degrade the sound? I need to split both the playback and recording lines.

Thanks!

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I think it may depend on the deck.

if two outputs from different decks are merged into one input, the one you are using is obviously outputting to the preamp,and also INPUTTING to the output of the unused deck.

Some decks may not care about this, but I would suggest (and use myself) a switching box of some sort.

38554951-8B01-41B0-85DE-F176BE523758.jpeg

The Kramer under my phono pre is a switching unit…

Makymak

Journeyman
@J!m if I understand correctly what you mean, it all has to do with the impedances. The input should have high impedance while the output should have low impedance. Feeding from one's deck output the input of the amp (high imp) will also feed the other's deck input (low imp) so the overall input impedance will be not optimal (low). Right?

If the above is true then, yes I need a switching box.
Thank you!

J!m

Tagline
BOT
It might be that; are you trying to feed to output of both decks at the same time into a single input? That might work, using output level of each deck to adjust.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
You could use an AUX input .
For recording use a splitted rec out .
In case of 3 head deck use local tape monitor .
Any way for 2 head deck use Aux input .
Tape monitors are designed for 3 head decks.
Ciao
Marco

Makymak

Journeyman
All my decks are 3-headers. But as a final solution, I can exclude one of these 3 decks from the playback chain. What is more important to me is the recording. This particular system is my recording system. So, I need to have both these 3 decks connected to the recording chain. Using an rca splitter exclusively to the recording lines will introduce any sound effects? I know that my amplifier's recording output is divided into the two lines for the two decks only by a mechanical switch with simple, plain contacts. No electronics involved. In any position except for recording from a deck, both outputs are live. How bad will suffer the recording if I add one more line to the two parallel lines? One note: I never recording simultaneously.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
All my decks are 3-headers. But as a final solution, I can exclude one of these 3 decks from the playback chain. What is more important to me is the recording. This particular system is my recording system. So, I need to have both these 3 decks connected to the recording chain. Using an rca splitter exclusively to the recording lines will introduce any sound effects? I know that my amplifier's recording output is divided into the two lines for the two decks only by a mechanical switch with simple, plain contacts. No electronics involved. In any position except for recording from a deck, both outputs are live. How bad will suffer the recording if I add one more line to the two parallel lines? One note: I never recording simultaneously.
I've had this dbx 400x in the rack for many years ... handles a Teac A-2300s, the Nak 682zx and a Tascam CDRW-900 just perfectly.
IMG_6567.PNG

J!m

Tagline
BOT
If you need to run multiple decks, get a good quality switcher. These Keamaer ones are for audio and video, but can be had cheap and allow fully balanced audio switching (as I use) but can also do single ended (RCA) connections.

I could cut a record to two cassettes and a CD at the same time if I wanted.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Considering input impedandance = 47K Ohm and output impendance = 820 Ohm ( standard values )
you obtain these losses in path :
one deck = 0.15 dB
two decks = 0.29 dB
three decks = 0,44 dB
Absolutely negligible for sound .
Ciao
Marco