Scratches on alu

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Recently I have seen a PL 400 on ebay.com with dual primary tranformer ( mandatory for me ) , but I'm in doubt if it' s
worth to buy it ,because that sample has little scratches around the four bolts on the front panel .
Does anybody of you know how to " mask " the scratshes on PL 400 alu front panel ? In my opinion it' s impossible but......
Generally I use ammonia , but for cleaning only .
Ciao
Marco

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
Hi Marcok,
Those scratches were probably caused by the bolts used to rack mount the amplifier, and if so the only way to remove them would be to resurface the aluminum...they are probably there to stay.
How bad are they? A lot of equipment has rack rash. If they are tiny you might be able to polish them out with fine grade sandpaper, working up to wet or dry 1000 or 1200.

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
That's pretty minor Brother. The amps are almost 40 years old and are bound to have some signs of wear over the years. If you want a fresh new look, wait for one of Skratch's new faceplates or take the old one to a machine shop and get it resurfaced (you would need to find someone to silkscreen the lettering back on obviously). A small bit of wear should not be an impediment to audio nivarna, it's what's inside that counts. Really damaged ones are pretty much as they are, get a new custom faceplate and your good to go

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Thank you for your suggestions .
Now I have a bleak doubt for this night .:laughing1::laughing1:
Ciao
Marco

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Women don't care about scratches on your gear, they dig Elvis.