Sanyo A35 Plus Series amp

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
:alien: what a little alien this amp is, I'm hoping JbeckVa will chime in on some points here. This was my first brand spanking new amp purchase in 1980, I listened and compared in the showroom, wittled down to it and a Phillips with VU meters into a pair of Genesis II speakers (2-way, passive radiator with a dome tweet, bright green foam surrounds) Love, love, loved the sound, bought the system....flash forward to last year, saw an A35 for sale on da 'bay, bought it!

Matched with my JBL L-56's and my DCM KX12 II's it sounded shitty, ouch! Sounded great with my Logans, alas, they made it's power switch go poof! :roll: the midrange sweetness I fell in love with the first time was all there with the 'stats, bass check, hi hat cymbals check, but not meant to be played with a demanding speaker :( :cry:

However, I had my AKG K340 'stat/dynamic phones and this little Sanyo sang pretty with them, K340's are a difficult load, 400+ohms, wild swings in amp demands as with all stats,,,so, my recent AKG K601 phones have met their perfect amp, I had Larry's Creek amp, and was bowled away by the sound :cheers: Highly recomended, this Sanyo takes everything to the next level though. Larry, sorry to say I found a new love match up.

Jerry, why do you think the headphone amp section in the Sanyo is so special? What speakers have you gotten the best sound out of it with, (Polks?) I'm really curious, I was going to sell it on till I hooked up the phones to it and found nirvana (steep I know, but you should hear it) Stu

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
The headphone out on it is really still part of the amp section but just reduced through a voltage divider, so you're still hearin the amp itself.

The main outputs are actually what are called "Darlington Packs", which are basically two transistors in a complementary fashion sealed in a single package. I think that's what I remember, anyway. So basically you're getting a pretty good current handling capability with the A35. It's power supply isn't too shabby either from what I remember while I was working on it.

You're probably hitting the real sweet spot between the amp's characteristics and the impedance curve of your cans. Believe it or not, the best combination I recall ever having between amp and headphones was actually my old Sansui (BPC) A1200 integrated with a couple of nice old rat shack cans. Loud as can be, but both clear and powerful. Probably what started me going deaf... :albino:

stuwee

Cool, synergy raises its head again, that's what I thought, it xplains why my speaker matching hasn't worked so well, those MOSFET Darlington packs must have a narrow window of pleasure hehe :shock: ! So do you think those 'packs' are similair to the op-amps of the Creek? The sound is very close, the Sanyo just seems to open the mids up, the leading edges of vocals make me weep, they are that nice :tongue9:

Thanks Jer :toothy7:

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Darlington is early nomenclature for hybrid IC amp package, You will want to take very good care of your Plus as most of those packages have been obsoleted by Sanyo in the last few years and are going to require a big search for NOS. Some basic models are still around in updated models. Heat transfer requirements are like those a 3 GHz Pentium 4 might not see. Give the amp breathing room and install a fan if you desire, it couldn't hurt.

I had a Technics SA-1303 receiver with a New Class A amp repaired to give as a Christmas gift two years ago and it reaches over 80F nominally functioning. This is a COMPACT set, look it up, with digital and 'analog' tuning via a specially rigged meter device and it was hot sauce back in 1981 or '82 when I think I started seeing these new amps from Technics,

Finding the amp module was a chore, as was the one for Onkyo TX-36 and then my DVD receiver, Onkyo DR-90. I was of good fortune that year.

I have seen a few of the Plus series and they were gems of their day so do take care of this baby.

jbeckva said:
The headphone out on it is really still part of the amp section but just reduced through a voltage divider, so you're still hearin the amp itself.

The main outputs are actually what are called "Darlington Packs", which are basically two transistors in a complementary fashion sealed in a single package. I think that's what I remember, anyway. So basically you're getting a pretty good current handling capability with the A35. It's power supply isn't too shabby either from what I remember while I was working on it.

You're probably hitting the real sweet spot between the amp's characteristics and the impedance curve of your cans. Believe it or not, the best combination I recall ever having between amp and headphones was actually my old Sansui (BPC) A1200 integrated with a couple of nice old rat shack cans. Loud as can be, but both clear and powerful. Probably what started me going deaf... :albino:

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
A nice pair of Monitor 4s would probably make your amp happy, also Altec Model One is a really swell small bookshelf speaker in the 25-30 watt range that I've owned that are worthy, if not as high end as you might want but they were one of the better all-paper two-ways you could have for 200-275 between the mid seventies and 1980, often deeply discounted during the Stereo Wars.

Boston A60 is another idea. I don't think you can lose with a pair. I also had Advent Baby IIs but they are tempermental with sets like Pioneer SX-3600...the woofer isn't to my liking and I found the dome a bit harsh. It takes practice and some getting used to. An amp with good reserve is a bit much for them though.

Don't even bother with Minimus-7 for this one. Optimus 1 or 2 with the cloth surrounded 10" and cast iron frames would also be a blast. I know this from ownership as well.

stuwee

Thankee Orange! I must investage (sp) this, I feel like this amp has a very small window of opportunity sound wise, get it right and it's magic,,get it wrong and it's bright,,,ouch!

I'll watch CL for some of your suggestions :joker:

I've always loved Boston's they have that sealed east coast sound I love!!

I have some AR 4x's that love power, I gave them 130 watts from the Yamaha and they just sang :cheers: