Sansui AU-517, cleaning 'er up...

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Got my AU-517 opened up for some good cleaning and lubing. I'm going to just stick for now with what's an issue, which are the tape play mode switches and the balance knob. Everything else is good, and I can't bear me ears without this guy doing preamp duty as I've said in other threads. Gotta give thanks this this guy here too, for showing the way in taking this rubik's cube apart.. hehe.

http://einstein.sc.mahidol.ac.th/~jose/Audio.htm

Man, just LOOK at the build quality... These were NOT meant to be thrown away when something goes wrong, oh hell no..

suiguts.jpg

suiguts2.jpg

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Looks like its quite a process getting down to it.

Lot of work to clean some switches/pots.

Do you have any other pre amps as well?

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Looks like its quite a process getting down to it.

Lot of work to clean some switches/pots.

Do you have any other pre amps as well?
Have hmm.. A Carver CT-6, Yamaha C-60, and the direct route via the DAC output (has a pre out). The DAC direct out is very very defined, but just not quite the "character" as the AU driving my WOPL 500 FC. Had a Marantz.. used a Nak AV-1, and both a Yamaha R-9 / Sanyo Plus A-33(?) with 10 to 1 voltage dividers on the main outs (wasn't too bad, surprisingly!.. ).

Ahh.. now she's all back together and killin' me softly with er song... heheh.. Seriously I didn't want to tear way in past the actual issues here, and there was a good choice thank goodness.

Not YET, anyway...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bfRMDQsFajQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Not too familiar with that album, although I have heard Knockin At Your Back Door. Ill have to keep my eyes peeled for that one, cool sounding tune.

Scorpion8

Journeyman
Tagline
Cassetticus Maximus
Glad to see another Sansui AU-lover! I still have my AU-717 from 1980 and you can have it when you pry my cold, dead fingers from it!

speakerlabfan

Tagline
---
Glad to see another Sansui AU-lover! I still have my AU-717 from 1980 and you can have it when you pry my cold, dead fingers from it!
I just love the presence the AU's can put out. Yep, me too Jim LOL...
+3. I purchased my AU-717 from a mail order outfit in CA (think it was called the Stereo Warehouse) in 1978. Still have it and it sings. Like a steel fist inside a velvet glove. Love the Sansui signature sound.

I didn't get the companion TU-717 tuner at the time, but I have one now in my main system - a great tuner.

I have an AU-517 also and an AU-20000. Sansui was at the top of their game for solid state!

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Good job on keeping that unit alive

I just took a au-517 out of service in my bed room. I have the tu-919 and it now sitting on a shelf while I ponder selling them.

I thing the Sanusi products of that area were excellent. I have tu-9800 as well

i only issue I have to deal with is the slide switch on the back to change from pre out or amp output.
It needs cleaning.