Sansui AU-517, back from the dead (again)

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
So finally (after all these years lol).. I open up my AU-517 that wouldn't come out of protection mode...

And GEEZE, if it wasn't just a quick offset tweak on the right channel. That buggah was around half a volt! All dexoit'd and ready to put a WOPL in front of it with the preamp outputs again! :blob4::salute::toothy5:

Gotta do a little bit of dusting, but overall still one of my better lookers. I still can't get over how well built these guys were, back in the day...

sui1.jpg sui2.jpg sui3.jpg

I can see a future recap tho. :scratch:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
A quick enough fix, Jerry. Love seeing those older Sansui AU series amplifiers. I listened to an AU-777 powering some KEF speakers on my last visit to Innovative Audio. Very nice sound.

Nando.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
I love upper end Sansui stuff better than Pioneer even

nadude98

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Awesome Jer, I did a complete recap and some mods on a friends AU-717. When it was done and I was giving it a listen I couldn't believe how good it sounded. Lifelike soundstage and unique presence. It was hooked up to my Thiel 04a's which need a lot of power, preferably 100w or more. It seemed to be way way underrated on power. Built like a tank!

Definitely worth a recap! It definitely has a wonderful pre!