Samsung TV to PL gear

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
Anyone know about this? I have a UN58RU7100 Samsung that has no audio out other than optical and HDMI ARC. I can get a DAC easy enough but according to the interwebs the optical output only works when the source is 5.1 and the HDMI ARC seems to have issues playing Netflix (which I don’t use) and YouTube (which I would like to be able to use). Seems the issue is the apps default to Dolby digital rather than PCM with no option to change setting so no sound to the DAC...

Has anyone come across this? Worst case Ontario I have an older Samsung I’m pretty sure has analog output 3.5mm I think... might put it for use with the old gear.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
There's some folks here that can answer that question, it's just not me..

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
There's some folks here that can answer that question, it's just not me..
Hahaha! dare I say the master is stumped?

FYI I haven’t tried this yet and the latest info I can find is from earlier this year regarding Samsung and app updates. Maybe it works fine now I don’t know. I just don’t want to buy a DAC if there’s a known issue still. I’ll jist swap the TV’s and use the analog out (if it has it...).

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Pops hung the TV today, gotta get my azz in gear and built the entertainment Center when I’m home next. Get rid of that hot ghetto mess... my friend mills his own lumber and donated some really nice maple for the job in exchange for some beers and homemade chicken wings on movie night. Plannis to make it about the width between the speakers with two shelves for record storage, a central rack for the PL amps in the middle and rack space on top at each side for stuff you fiddle with like preamp and tape decks/CD player. Like to keep that stuff at comfortable height.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Hahaha! dare I say the master is stumped?

FYI I haven’t tried this yet and the latest info I can find is from earlier this year regarding Samsung and app updates. Maybe it works fine now I don’t know. I just don’t want to buy a DAC if there’s a known issue still. I’ll jist swap the TV’s and use the analog out (if it has it...).
Not the master when it comes to that...............

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Pops hung the TV today, gotta get my azz in gear and built the entertainment Center when I’m home next. Get rid of that hot ghetto mess... my friend mills his own lumber and donated some really nice maple for the job in exchange for some beers and homemade chicken wings on movie night. Plannis to make it about the width between the speakers with two shelves for record storage, a central rack for the PL amps in the middle and rack space on top at each side for stuff you fiddle with like preamp and tape decks/CD player. Like to keep that stuff at comfortable height.
Nice!!

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Apparently the tv does not output via the optical port unless the source signal is 5.1 though

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Apparently the tv does not output via the optical port unless the source signal is 5.1 though
That's not correct... unless that particular Samsung is defective. I think the confusion lies in the fact that the Toslink (optical) transport can only pass "up to 5.1" channels of surround - not 7.1 or above - which a lot of folks complain about in the AV forums - but that's simply a transport design limitation. That said, most televisions of the last 10+ years usually have a sound setting in their menus that lets one select Internal Speakers or Optical Out, and many newer ones have Internal Speaker + Optical Out along with various other HDMI audio out settings; eARC, bitstream, PCM, etc etc. Trust me man, if you're watching terrestrial OTA broadcasts off an antenna and the television station is broadcasting old episodes of Perry Mason (MeTV for example...), it's not being broadcast in in 5.1 but there should and will be sound passing out the optical link nonetheless - if settings are properly configured.

And dude, that set has left & right analog outs too...

1601475110883.png

Obviously anything coming out of those two channels has been down-converted.

Last edited:

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Ok thanks for that, but the issue I keep reading about and remember I have not tried any of this... is that when using apps such as YouTube or crapazon prime, they default to Dolby digital and don’t allow pcm output so even if signal is coming from the optical a DAC won’t convert that to analog??? I have no idea about this stuff so forgive me if that’s a retarded question.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
There are no dumb questions ... not even the retarded ones. :p

What you've probably read is the multitude of folks who are pissed that apps, like Netflix or whatever, don't pass down Dolby Atmos, DolbyHD or the DTS higher end multichannel streams over HDMI ARC or eARC consistently, which is a major &^%! up in design. Sound bars are notorious for those problems too. But apart from those strictly HDMI related issues, definitely Optical Out is limited to 5.1 tops. That's just how the Toslink transport protocol is constructed. So even if you have - say - a Roku or Amazon Fire unit connected to the TV via HDMI and you're watching movies that are labeled DolbyHD (7.1), no TV can or will "pass through" all the channels via Optical Out. It all gets down converted to 5.1, to whatever is connected; AVR, sound bar, DAC, or whatever...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
What can anyone tell me about using a keyboard and mouse with a smart tv? Any old USB or possibly Bluetooth keyboard work? Was looking at a couple with a touch pad built in for browsing YouTube mostly. Do they allow you to type in the search bar?

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Ok I’ll order that up. What about a touchpad keyboard? Will any wireless keyboard work or is the Samsung OS proprietary?

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
I have one of those here in a storage box. If you have not ordered one yet let me know and I will send it to you at the right price...Free.
Damn, I really appreciate that but I already ordered one. Thank you though.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Pops got the DAC today. Plugged that bad boy into the tv and the PL gear and works like a charm.