Revisiting my youth!!

Tagline
A clear conscience is actually a bad memory.
A few years ago ( 1983 ) i was in awe of a newly released deck from JVC, It had auto reverse, Metal tape capabilty ( Never used ) LED meters and looked so modern, So i saved my pennies, got another part time job and sold a few bits and pieces and finally managed to get enough together to return to 'COMET' ( UK discount store at the time) And purchase the deck, It was the JVC KD-V44.

I had this deck for quite a number of years, I think i paid around £220 for it, may have been more. I know that when i sold it i still managed to get around £150 for it.

I had the AKAI AM-U3 computer controlled amplifier and some great big Goodmans Magnum speakers!

Any how, i saw one on Ebay, proporting to be fully working, for £45... So i jumped on it. It is in perfect condition and more importantly still works as it should!

I know that many others have strived to recreate goodies from their youth!

Not quite sure what i am going to do next.... Buy an AKAI AM-U3 amp? Probably not...

Below are the pictures of the JVC, The speakers and amplifier pictures are from the web, i sold those decades ago... they were loud to my young ears!

PC

Attachments

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Cool to see you've added something from your past, Shaun. A few of us have gone through stages of reliving our youth by acquiring gear we once had. For me, it's not so much about home gear, but car audio gear. I sold a few car audio components back in the day, only to rebuy the same models, years later.

There is one exception: When I was a teen, I used my parents' Fleetwood console (which is still at my mom's) to play all my records. So, years ago, I was gifted a beautiful Grundig Fleetwood console.

Nando.

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I can relate- buying the Phase Linear stuff that I couldn’t afford way back then and yet, I still really can’t afford it! Credit cards stretch much farther than cash…

Tagline
Ha! My personal demon was the 1978 Pioneer stuff.... hence the 20+ year journey to collect it ALL! Love it ....

I have only one Phase Linear Item, the 7000 MK2 cassette deck ( Pioneer CT-A1 ) i love it.... If the Phase Linear kit was more available in the UK i may have gone down the same rabbit hole as you Mark!

@ Nando - I can see why you would collect the early Car HiFi, i would too, but first i need the right car to fit it into.... and in our wet and salty road network is proving to be quite ( Very ) difficult..... and a tad too pricey here in the UK - But i am on a mission!

PC

A.N.T.

Journeyman
Tagline
Femtoamp- Volt- and Tape- nut.
In the 80th I had own or used (consecutively, not concurrently, I was not that wealthy) quite number of different decks and now I have almost all these in my collection:

JVC KD-D10
Technics RS-M253X
Technics RS-M263
Akai CS-M02
Sony WM-R202

One which is missing is the Dual 810. I have the 830 (top of that line) but couldn't find the 810 so far. Here are some photos. The Technics RS-M263 is the latest addition to that set and I don't have a good photo yet, as it needs some attention.

Cheers

Alex

Attachments

Tagline
Hi Alex, Some nice decks there! I was not wealthy either, nor did i have access to a great choice!!
Your walkman was certainly a LOT nicer than mine was in 1980! I think that it may have been an AMSTRAD or a cheap SANYO... either way it was big and ate batteries, but to my young ears it did sound OK!

Nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia :)

But i draw the line at buying my first vehicle ( Yamaha FS1DX 50cc moped - Reg OHY 452R ) ..... Just saying... :)

PC

A.N.T.

Journeyman
Tagline
Femtoamp- Volt- and Tape- nut.
With the walkman I was ... fortunate. My father visited Japan in 1986 on an invitation of Masaru Ibuka and brought the WM-R202 back with him. I had to sell it later in a moment of need, and was happy to find one in a good condition a few years ago.

Cheers

Alex

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
With the walkman I was ... fortunate. My father visited Japan in 1986 on an invitation of Masaru Ibuka and brought the WM-R202 back with him. I had to sell it later in a moment of need, and was happy to find one in a good condition a few years ago.

Cheers

Alex
I had the Walkman Sport AM/FM/cassette (yellow box, don’t remember the model number). Those skinny little headphones were amazing. Ran forever on 2 AA cells! I used to go to a neighborhood park where there was a paved trail, popped in a 60 min DEVO mix, and roller bladed for an hour. The spinal injury killed all of that unfortunately. I was a smelly wet boy 3 - 4 times a week. Fond memories.