Resistor Noise

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Here are some links to documents concerning the different types of resistors and resistor noise.

Basics of Linear Fixed Resistors Vishay Application Note Document Number 28771, Revision 11-Nov-08

Resistors by R.A. Fairs Wireless World Oct 1975 pgs 487-492

Build the J-Can To Measure Resistor Noise by Joe Geller Nuts & Volts July 2007 pgs 54-62

Part of MIL-STD-202G:
http://carlsonmfg.com/resources/military-standards-1/2290-mil-std-202g-method-308-pdf-1/file
NOTE: The current standard is MIL-STD-202H. However there seems to be a problem with their website.
MIL-STD-202H Test Method Standard Electronic And Electrical Component Parts

Quan-Tech 315C Resistor Noise Test Set Brochure

Measuring and Evaluating Excess Noise In Resistors by Brewster LaMacchia, Bradford Swanson AES Convention 145 October 2018 eBrief 486

Resistor Noise – the experiment and the results

SPECIAL ISSUE: FIXED RESISTORS Electronics World Apr 1965

Noise in Precision Film Resistors by P.D. Smith Texas Instruments August 1961

Resistor Current Noise Measurements by Frank Seifert April 14, 2009

Measurement of 1/f Noise in Carbon Composition and Thick Film Resistors by Patrick Barry and Steven Errede

IEC 60195 Method of measurement of current noise generated in fixed resistors:
https://global.ihs.com/doc_detail.cfm?document_name=IEC 60195&item_s_key=00132181

Designing For Ultra-Low THD+N (Part 2) Resistors and Capacitors by Bruce Hofer AudiXpress Dec 2013 pgs 18-23

I also have some links to even more technical articles that perhaps only an engineer could understand.

Ed

Last edited:

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I will read through this when I have the time. While talking to a Engineer that worked for Shure Brothers where AES meetings were held, he related to me that it was not metal film resistors that were quietest but that they found the wire wound ones were. Of course the most of consumer electronics is full of carbon composition. If a person changes all of these to Metal film or other high end types what kind of benefit did they get?

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
I will read through this when I have the time. While talking to a Engineer that worked for Shure Brothers where AES meetings were held, he related to me that it was not metal film resistors that were quietest but that they found the wire wound ones were. Of course the most of consumer electronics is full of carbon composition. If a person changes all of these to Metal film or other high end types what kind of benefit did they get?
When you get some time, reading some of the documents above should be helpful as it will show you how much noise voltage and noise current there is for various types of resistors.

I have not yet had a chance to populate the same model pc boards, one with one type (i.e. carbon composition) and another with another type of resistor (i.e. metal film) with everything else being the same (i.e transistors, diodes, capacitors). Subsequently, I will test for things like signal-to-noise ratio, etc.

It appears to me that one of the greatest sources of noise in a amplifier may well be in the front end or voltage amplification stage.
Discrete circuits historically had lower signal-to-noise ratios than IC op-amps. I had thought that we were at a point whereby the ultra low noise voltage IC's had come of age. However, I am just beginning to learn about noise current and its effects.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Luckily, my ears are no longer good enough to discern the difference in noise between various forms of resistor manufacturing. I will blame being in the front row at the California Jam on April 6, 1974 and the racks of Tycobrahe Sound Company BFA-2000 bi-amplifiers (1500W low and 500W high split at 800Hz) and the mountain of JBL speakers for that. Each tower held three upper rows totaling 50 speakers, each 10 cubic feet and holding (2) JBL 2220A's, a 2482 driver and horn, and (2) 075 tweeters in them. On the bottom row, the eight-foot bass horns held JBL 18" woofers, and the row above that held seven rows of rear-loaded dual bass horns. As I remember it, there were times when the power lines sagged to 90 volts.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
My kinda concert.
Shpongle will be at Red Rocks May 3rd and 4th.....yes I got tickets for both dsys... and a motel room 10 min away.