Replacement for a Germanium Rectifier...?

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I've been working on an old Phillips tube amp, and the rectifier is solid-state, but germanium. How do I determine what to replace it with? Will I just need to resort to soldering some diodes together, of some value or other? It's above my "pay grade" for sure...

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
It is probably a selenium rectifier. Has metal fins?

Replace it with a silicon bridge.

The selenium emits poison when they fail...

Selenium rectifiers had a shorter lifespan than desired. During catastrophic failure they produced significant quantities of malodorous and highly toxic fumes that let the repair technician know what the problem was. By far the most common failure mode was a progressive increase in forward resistance, increasing forward voltage drop and reducing the rectifier's efficiency. During the 1960s they began to be superseded by silicon rectifiers, which exhibited lower forward voltage drop, lower cost, and higher reliability.[6] They are still manufactured for exact replacement purposes, but are not designed into new equipment.

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
The unit is metal, with no fins that I can see and square, about 3/4 of an inch on the side. It is labeled as so:

B250C75
e-F1080
Made in Germany

Will any silicon bridge work, or do I need to tailor it to the amp?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast