Remembering Otis Redding

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Otis Redding
September 9, 1941 - December 10, 1967 (aged 26)
It’s been 55 years since Otis Redding was killed in a plane crash into Lake Monona in Madison, Wi. My sister lives a block from the area that the plane went into the water. I remember when he was killed and thought then, “How can this happen”? We had lost so many musicians to plane crashes. Buddy Holly and Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper went down in a plane crash in Iowa February 3, 1959 on “The Day The Music Died”.

On its final approach to Madison on December 10, 1967, however, the private plane carrying soul-music legend Otis Redding would crash into the frigid waters of a small lake three miles short of the runway, killing seven of the eight men aboard, including Redding.

"(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay" was released in January 1968. It became Redding's only single to reach number one on the Billboard Hot 100 and the first posthumous number-one single in U.S. chart history.

Soul singer Otis Redding, 26, died in the crash of his chartered twin-engine Beechcraft 18 on December 10, 1967. Redding and members of his band, the Bar-Kays, had taken off from the airport in Cleveland for a flight to Madison, Wisconsin, with pilot Richard Fraser. The weather was bad, with cold drizzle and fog. While on the approach to Madison the airplane plunged into Lake Monona. The exact cause of the crash remains undetermined, but the Beechcraft may have been experiencing engine problems. Of the seven passengers, the only survivor was 20-year-old Ben Cauley, one of the musicians. (The opening band for Redding in Madison that night was to be a local outfit called the Grim Reapers, featuring future Cheap Trick guitarist Rick Nielsen.) Four months after Redding’s death his single “(Sittin’ on) The Dock of the Bay” reached the top of the charts.

“King of Soul” died in Lake Monona plane crash 55 years ago this weekend. It was his first #1 record.

Otis Redding 2.jpg Otis Redding.png

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
The weather was rainy and foggy in Cleveland when they took off on Saturday the 9th, 1967, and they were warned not to fly, but either had to fly, or cancel the show in Madison on Sunday the 10th. The Beechcraft H18 was Redding's own plane, it was almost brand new. I remember exactly where I was when Stevie Ray Vaughan was killed, again here in Wisconsin on August 27, 1990. He was in a helicopter just taking off in East Troy, at Alpine Valley Music Theater, which is a fantastic outside venue here. The conditions were very similar, super foggy, no visibility, and the theater sits in a "bowl" surrounded by hills. Pilot lifted off and flew right into a hill. I was sick to my stomach because the media here was reporting that Eric Clapton was also on that helicopter, and both he and Stevie Ray were killed. It was an unbelievable accident, and the report was wrong as Clapton had decided not to get on the helicopter. Tragic deaths, so much talent.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
We had a spare ticket for SRV on the in step tour. My bass player said: “I’ll see him next time…”

This was here in CT and I have a shitty bootleg of the same show, but I didn’t make it.

The highlight was watching him go through three guitars in one show- but you can’t hear it. When a string broke he just transposed and signaled for a new one. The tech put it on him and he kept right on going…

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
The weather here in the Madison area was very foggy and rainy all day yesterday. We got about 6" of heavy, wet snow on Friday,
but it has remained relatively warm, and foggy.
It was eerie working outside yesterday, I kept thinking of that day 55 years ago, almost the exact same conditions when
the plane went down.
The real Otis Redding story is one of compassion and caring for kids. He had a boatload of talent as a musician and singer
but as he was starting to find fame with his varied talents, his dream was to give back. His daughter continues to run the
Oiis Redding Foundation and change young people's lives every day. He died at 26, but his legacy of philanthropy lives on.

The Otis Redding Foundation – Progress through Education