Recording Studio Design 800B

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Joined
Jul 6, 2010
Messages
15,921
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
#4
That's huge but it's probably the last thing I need in a 60 year old house other than headphones. Tommy Mottola is not my neighbor.
 

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Joined
Jul 28, 2011
Messages
1,362
Location
Wise, Virginia
#5
800b would indicate 400 watts per side, but I don't know if that is into 4 ohms or what. I would guess they were shooting at the other amps of the day (look at the b in lower case.....who does that remind you of?), so could be 800 watts mono into 8 ohms, or into 4 ohms. I can't find much about this amp anywhere.
 

stuwee

Veteran and General Yakker
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
8,219
Location
Deep in the Sonoran Desert SW
#7
ksrigg said:
800b would indicate 400 watts per side, but I don't know if that is into 4 ohms or what. I would guess they were shooting at the other amps of the day (look at the b in lower case.....who does that remind you of?), so could be 800 watts mono into 8 ohms, or into 4 ohms. I can't find much about this amp anywhere.
Usually when you see meters with only Db's indicated and no watts on the legend, your looking at a brusier :blackeye: , and the font script looks alot like Phase Linear and Pioneer from that era

I bet his reserve was around $400, shame no one stepped up and bought it :cry: . Kinda cool how they were built in someones garage :thumbright:
 

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Joined
Jul 28, 2011
Messages
1,362
Location
Wise, Virginia
#8
I am in the process of buying it. I can't find much on it though. Sounds like it might be rated at 800 watts, but I don't know if that is bridged into 4 ohms or what. I can't see any output devices in the pics either, so I just don't know. It should arrive here maybe in a week or so...so I'll let you know what I can find out..I bought it for $150.00 plus shipping...
 

stuwee

Veteran and General Yakker
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
8,219
Location
Deep in the Sonoran Desert SW
#9
ksrigg said:
I am in the process of buying it. I can't find much on it though. Sounds like it might be rated at 800 watts, but I don't know if that is bridged into 4 ohms or what. I can't see any output devices in the pics either, so I just don't know. It should arrive here maybe in a week or so...so I'll let you know what I can find out..I bought it for $150.00 plus shipping...
Woof!! :grommit: NICE! Great deal Sutton :thumbup: :toothy7: :thumbup:

You're my new hero :glasses7: :naka: :glasses7:
 

stuwee

Veteran and General Yakker
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
8,219
Location
Deep in the Sonoran Desert SW
#12
Well it's been several days and no bites of info on my threads elsewhere on this amp :evil:

Strange because there's alot of UK folks over at SH and lot's of Pink Floyd fanatics that have been to all the shows over there, looks like you have a very nice, very rare bird there :D
 

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Joined
Jul 28, 2011
Messages
1,362
Location
Wise, Virginia
#15
I hope it is nice. At first the owner said it had a little noise, then he said the noise was coming from the fanblades, os I don't know what exactly we have, but should be finding out this week sometime. I'll have to rig up something for the inputs and outputs, as they look to be all din right now...
 

Fairchild

Veteran and General Yakker
Joined
Jun 14, 2010
Messages
2,640
Location
Springpatch, IL
Tagline
It's Beer Season!
#16
Those are balanced xlr inputs and outputs, you can get adapters easily enough to convert to either 1/4 inch phono or rca. If you are so inclined you can get the plugs and make your own adapters.

Fans are pretty easily gotten and much quieter than they were in the day. Many are available on that auction site, you will need to know the dimensions and if it requires ac or dc. Some even come with adjustable temperature sensors.

Jim
 

stuwee

Veteran and General Yakker
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
8,219
Location
Deep in the Sonoran Desert SW
#17
Fairchild said:
Those are balanced xlr inputs and outputs, you can get adapters easily enough to convert to either 1/4 inch phono or rca. If you are so inclined you can get the plugs and make your own adapters.

Fans are pretty easily gotten and much quieter than they were in the day. Many are available on that auction site, you will need to know the dimensions and if it requires ac or dc. Some even come with adjustable temperature sensors.

Jim
What he said :thumbright: . Think about what speaker cable connections you want to use, I'd look at some nice WBT ones so you could use spades, bananas or bare wire.
 

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Joined
Jul 28, 2011
Messages
1,362
Location
Wise, Virginia
#18
I have found XLR male to female RCA connectors, but I'm having a problem finding any converters for the XLR male to banana or other speaker connectors. I guess I can just buy some XLR connectors and make a solid connetcion to the XLR posts with the speaker wire, but which ones would be positive and negative? And what about the third connection? I'm sorry I'm so stupid when it comes to this stuff..but someone help me figure out how to determine what is what. I probably will wait for the amp to see if I'll need a fan and any other parts, and then I can open the chassis to see how everything is wired, but I'll probably need help in determining what is what...I have a multimeter, if someone can tell me what I'm looking for...sorry I'm such a neophyte
 

Fairchild

Veteran and General Yakker
Joined
Jun 14, 2010
Messages
2,640
Location
Springpatch, IL
Tagline
It's Beer Season!
#19
ksrigg said:
I have found XLR male to female RCA connectors, but I'm having a problem finding any converters for the XLR male to banana or other speaker connectors. I guess I can just buy some XLR connectors and make a solid connetcion to the XLR posts with the speaker wire, but which ones would be positive and negative? And what about the third connection? I'm sorry I'm so stupid when it comes to this stuff..but someone help me figure out how to determine what is what. I probably will wait for the amp to see if I'll need a fan and any other parts, and then I can open the chassis to see how everything is wired, but I'll probably need help in determining what is what...I have a multimeter, if someone can tell me what I'm looking for...sorry I'm such a neophyte
Do a search for the connections, it is out there, if nothing else I think parts express has it, I would use the XLR to wire then bananas or whatever you usually use on the speaker ends.

Jim
 
Top