Recommendations for CV D9 tweeter replacement

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Last few days, when I crank the WOPL, I noticed weird sounds coming from the tweeters in both speakers. Kind of like a micro second metallic high pitched click but it's only on certain notes. I don't use tone controls, loudness or anything, just flat response out of the Perreaux preamp. I don't think I have hurt them since when I turn the volume down, there is no weird noise and they sound normal

I am not a huge fan of the horn bullet tweeters so I wondered what would be a good replacement that will go in without any sawing or any type of visible modification of the existing holes and that can handle the power

I may just pull them out for now because once you put the gas to these, the dual mids in each seem to compensate, maybe because they are higher mid frequency capable?

I also may just move these in the garage for now and put the E-712s back in service. The E-712s are a much better sounding speaker in every aspect and can go lower then the D9s BUT they only handle 300w vs the 400w the Earthshakers can deliver. The tweeter is a soft dome in them

Northwinds

Tagline
Mike, I like a few of them but the way the D9 layout presents a problem in space for a outer diameter. I like some of the SEAS and Sotari but DAMN they are pricey

Out of all of them, what would you recommend. I am thinking I at most could spend $75 each, perhaps this Winter

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Damn Ron - fcuk the tweeters and get a decent pair of twatters. If you can match the impedance and have a good clean input source you should get these babies to sing.
Bring them over Dennis, we can take turns

I hope to ship the dbx to you this coming week, I did not have enough packing material, meant to PM you but been distracted with house shit getting ready for Winter. I also have to get an amp or two packed up for Lee

NavLinear

Bring them over Dennis, we can take turns

I hope to ship the dbx to you this coming week, I did not have enough packing material, meant to PM you but been distracted with house shit getting ready for Winter. I also have to get an amp or two packed up for Lee
I like that idea Ron.

No problem about the dbx - whenever you can get to it. I have enough going on to keep me busy for some time. Thanks!

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Mike, I like a few of them but the way the D9 layout presents a problem in space for a outer diameter. I like some of the SEAS and Sotari but DAMN they are pricey

Out of all of them, what would you recommend. I am thinking I at most could spend $75 each, perhaps this Winter

Ron, I like Nav's choice for tweets but if that don't work out for ya................................

Here is a Morel that should fit. Its a 1'' dome but it will just have a little wider dispersion:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/morel-soft-dome-tweeters/morel-mdt12-1-textile-dome-tweeter/

Simply Speakers has a direct replacement type also:
http://www.simplyspeakers.com/replacement-speaker-tweeter-t-123.html

The crossover should be on the back of the speaker connector /attenuation control .
I would replace the tweeter caps with Solens since they also may be wounded or just worn out.

Jm

P.S.
I would add a AGC .75 amp fuse between the crossover and the tweeter on the hot (plus) wire.

However all that said. The one I have used and recommend if you want to spend the extra bucks
is this Scanspeak. Killer tweeter for the money. And it will fit your existing cut out but you may have to
trim the top part of the flange to clear the midrange driver.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...nspeak-classic-d2010/8513-20-mm-dome-tweeter/

Last edited:

Almost1

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Did you end up making a decision on these? I picked up a pair for cheap a few months back with blown tweeters.

Northwinds

Tagline
Just an update, I got the CV soft domes from the old HED series of CV's and emphatically, this is the best upgrade I can think of. No more shrill ear piercing icepick highs at high volume levels. Everything seems more balanced and smooth now. They sound like a high quality set of speakers now. It is nice that they are just drop in replacements so I did not have to do any modifications to the cabs

To anyone with a set of D9s, these are the ticket

Last edited:

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Interesting! You know, I have mulled over the idea of pulling the half moon super tweeters out of my old (junk) Mach II's. Wonder how many watts your new tweets are rated at? For reference, the old rat shack super tweeters I am thinking about are 75.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Damn Ron - fcuk the tweeters and get a decent pair of twatters. If you can match the impedance and have a good clean input source you should get these babies to sing.
Any burn-in recommendations on that pair, Navo or are they ready to rock?

NavLinear

Any burn-in recommendations on that pair, Navo or are they ready to rock?
It's a good idea to break them in slowly beginning with the upper end and slowly working your way towards the lower end. In my experience that seems to get the best long term results. Butt it is recommended to experiment as the characteristics are unique for each one. :roll:

Northwinds

Tagline
Interesting! You know, I have mulled over the idea of pulling the half moon super tweeters out of my old (junk) Mach II's. Wonder how many watts your new tweets are rated at? For reference, the old rat shack super tweeters I am thinking about are 75.
Jer, the tweeters came out of a pair of similar type CV speakers rated at 400w, just a early series (HED). The tweeters are 8 ohm and probably handle about the same power as the bullets. I put the boots to them yesterday and they seemed to handle things just find. I will have to source the right fuses though. I have been running 8A fastblo's in the crossovers because that is all I have kicking around (those and 10A)

These same tweeters were used in Polk and Altec speakers, they are called Heppner Dhorm Tweeters

Last edited: