Reasonable price for a PL 4000 ii

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Ask Perry, he will have some opinions on this. The 4000s are pretty women, look great, high maintenance, so-so engineering.

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Lol, do what; ask the question, or pursue a PL 4000 II?
Although I've heard a lot of flack about the 4000/II, I have to say that mine has been trouble free until recently, left channel dropout with autocorrelator engaged. A lot has to do with the internal architecture, backplane with daughtercards. The trouble comes from the card slots and ancient (sometimes sloppy...) soldering. They crack!

I think they're good overall, but what you may get will be "iffy" as to proper functioning from those issues. Even if you get a good one, with time it may crap out. I lucked out on mine! But by ALL means, STAY AWAY FROM THE ONES WITH THE JOYSTICK!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The C4000 improved the PL4000 by using dual power rails, plus and minus. The PL4000 has a single rail so every stage has to be capacitively coupled to the next. A lot of complexity and overall lower performance. They used a lot of electrolytics for that coupling which do not age well.

Although I have a PL4000, it sits on the shelf and looks pretty.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
The C4000 improved the PL4000 by using dual power rails, plus and minus. The PL4000 has a single rail so every stage has to be capacitively coupled to the next. A lot of complexity and overall lower performance. They used a lot of electrolytics for that coupling which do not age well.

Although I have a PL4000, it sits on the shelf and looks pretty.
Details that I didn’t know...

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
series ll 4000 is dual rail

I need to clear up that the series one 4000 is a single rail supply
the series two 4000 has dual rail
please see partial schematic attached BD54385D-64F5-4ED7-A038-50488C40F787.jpeg

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
So to go a little further on the series ll 4000
its bells and whistles do not quite a match the Carvet c-4000 or Carver 4000t. The rest is pretty good. I have a PL4000-ll
sitting to be reworked and will have updated power supply, electrolytic caps changed out, new opamps , added new remote volume control and remote on/off so it can also remotely switch a pl400 safely.

Schmurpy

Journeyman
Tagline
If it isn't broke, fix it until it is.
Although I've heard a lot of flack about the 4000/II, I have to say that mine has been trouble free until recently, left channel dropout with autocorrelator engaged. A lot has to do with the internal architecture, backplane with daughtercards. The trouble comes from the card slots and ancient (sometimes sloppy...) soldering. They crack!

I think they're good overall, but what you may get will be "iffy" as to proper functioning from those issues. Even if you get a good one, with time it may crap out. I lucked out on mine! But by ALL means, STAY AWAY FROM THE ONES WITH THE JOYSTICK!
But the one with the joystick is so damn pretty! Lol....