RCA 45 J

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Have not been here awhile, trying to keep busy with my new single life. I had restored a few of these 45 players some 20myears back and had a couple packed away I never got to so decided to dig one out and do it up. This model does not have the built in amp and speaker. I am going to convert it to stereo with a new cartridge and rewire. They are fun to work on nothing to complicated even the models with the amps are easy to restore just replace a small handful of caps and test the tubes. I sold all the ones I had restored but plan to keep this one around for awhile, I like digging through my old 45 collection and being able to stack them is far better than playing them on my full size table that I can only put one record on at a time. Here is a cool link to a video RCA put out to launch the new 45 format New 45 format
s-l16.jpg

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Have not been here awhile, trying to keep busy with my new single life. I had restored a few of these 45 players some 20myears back and had a couple packed away I never got to so decided to dig one out and do it up. This model does not have the built in amp and speaker. I am going to convert it to stereo with a new cartridge and rewire. They are fun to work on nothing to complicated even the models with the amps are easy to restore just replace a small handful of caps and test the tubes. I sold all the ones I had restored but plan to keep this one around for awhile, I like digging through my old 45 collection and being able to stack them is far better than playing them on my full size table that I can only put one record on at a time. Here is a cool link to a video RCA put out to launch the new 45 format New 45 format
View attachment 68261
If you are familiar with those things, I might like to pick your brain sometime within the next few weeks.

Today I received replacement capacitors and resistors for the radio/amp portion of a 9Y5 and I have a line on the 4 tubes I'll need. One tube is still good. The record changer I'm leaving until last so all of what it will need, I do not know yet.

I had two of the units such as yours with which I was hoping to make one good one. But that chore stalled and when I moved away from the big city two years ago, they had to go. I'm now sorry that I did not bring them along.

IMG_5037.JPG

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Back when I was doing these part were hard to find or non existent so had to figure work arounds but now there are many reproduction parts available. That mech to me looks like an RP 168 it is the same as my J the only difference I see is the reject button... I ordered a kit, it has everything you will need to get it running Rebuild kit there are videos on youtube of restoring these 168 Repair the main thing is you take everything apart including the motor to clean and get rid of the old sticky oil then relube everything if you don't do this it will never run right. The other one I have here I will do up is an EY3 . If you have any questions ask away s-l1678.jpg

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
For stereo you could probably use a Pickering NP/AC as it tracks up to 7 grams (or a Stanton 500 body with an aftermarket NP/AC stylus). Or if you want to keep it ceramic you can use a Chuo Denshi/Banpa or maybe a stereo Ronette or Sonotone cart.........
I found the Pfanstiehl P-188D works real well with these players they are stereo and can be used to convert but for the players with built in amp and speaker they are mono so simply add a jumper wire to make these mono

62vauxhall

Tagline
I found the Pfanstiehl P-188D works real well with these players they are stereo and can be used to convert but for the players with built in amp and speaker they are mono so simply add a jumper wire to make these mono
Many thanks, those are great links. I would for sure need a minimum of a new idler and cartridge. Up til now, I assumed I would be dealing with Voice of Music.

For one of those stand alone RP168's I tossed, I had tried adapting one of the ceramic cartridges I had on hand by mounting to the upper half of the existing catridge's shell. That was due to an online tutorial I came across several years ago. But after all was said and done, it was not going to work. Both the Pfanstiehl you mention and the cartridge contained in that kit look to be much better options.

Other than it being stereo, do you have a marked preference for the Pfanstiehal cartridge over the "Redhead" included in the kit? Being stereo is of no consequence in a 9Y5. But the Pfanstiehl's description says it has a diamond stylus (vs sapphire) but no mention is made of whether the "Redhead" stylus is diamond or sapphire.

I had the impression sapphire styli didn't exist anymore.

Despite what the stylus material is, I am thinking that kit would be the most cost effective and convenient.

Before I order any more parts, I shall install all of the capacitors and resistors I just received. If the radio/amplifier works, I will begin on the changer.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Many thanks, those are great links. I would for sure need a minimum of a new idler and cartridge. Up til now, I assumed I would be dealing with Voice of Music.

For one of those stand alone RP168's I tossed, I had tried adapting one of the ceramic cartridges I had on hand by mounting to the upper half of the existing catridge's shell. That was due to an online tutorial I came across several years ago. But after all was said and done, it was not going to work. Both the Pfanstiehl you mention and the cartridge contained in that kit look to be much better options.

Other than it being stereo, do you have a marked preference for the Pfanstiehal cartridge over the "Redhead" included in the kit? Being stereo is of no consequence in a 9Y5. But the Pfanstiehl's description says it has a diamond stylus (vs sapphire) but no mention is made of whether the "Redhead" stylus is diamond or sapphire.

I had the impression sapphire styli didn't exist anymore.

Despite what the stylus material is, I am thinking that kit would be the most cost effective and convenient.

Before I order any more parts, I shall install all of the capacitors and resistors I just received. If the radio/amplifier works, I will begin on the changer.
You will need the rubber motor mounts as well they come in that kit yours will be shot and are critical for the idler wheel to run on the platter most I have seen the rubber mounts have completely deteriorated.... also you will want to check the wires coming out of the transformer many times the wire insulation is cracking as with all wiring in the amp section of your player... good thing about the upgrade needle/cartridge is they play stereo 45's good Don't know about you but I have many many stereo 45's in my collection, mono needles don't play them well. I don't have any specs these things are not hi fidelity high end players and 45's are not the best of recorded media for sure I feel if I put it in and it works I am good I'm not that critical with 45's. I have not tried the red head yet but will when I do up the EY3 which like your player is just a mono amp with one speaker so just put a jump wire on the stereo cartridge to make it mono the red head is mono so just drop in plug and play you can buy the Pfanstiehal for $10 compared to the red head that is $40

62vauxhall

Tagline
I hope the servicing doesn't involve disassebly/reassembly of that mechanism.

Good price on that cartridge but the vendor does not ship to Canada.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I hope the servicing doesn't involve disassebly/reassembly of that mechanism.

Good price on that cartridge but the vendor does not ship to Canada.
lol I have totally disassembled many of these including this one.... doing those 45 players led me into doing jukeboxes right now looks like I have to make a minor adjustment on this one but to get to it I am going to have to pull the carriage off (thats the rack that holds all the records)

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I found one of those at a junk shop long ago, paid $55 for it. Got all the kits, cycle cam, idler, amp rebuild, etc. very cool phono- and I see rebuilt ones on ebay topping $300. It’s a 45-EY3. A dab of Turtle paste wax on the bakelite works miracles. Two mods: molex connector and RCA jack to allow easier removal of the changer.

There was one vendor who sold the same basic changer, but played 45 and 16 RPM.