Proton AA-1150 Woes

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I suppose what I'm facing with this amp is simply on the order of "Do this every few years, or at least check it." I bought this amp really cheap at a local audio meet, and asked no questions. Lately, I kept hearing static-like noise from time to time...and it was only getting worse. A preamp change did not change the noise. I pulled pre and power amps out of the system - just now had a look at the Proton's innards, being VERY familiar with the Cyrus 2's innards, and fairly confident it was not the source of the noise.

I eyeballed everything with a good flashlight. I wiggled one known source of trouble - the signal inputs, which are soldered to the main board. Yup, one was loose, but I can re-flow the solder. Then I saw more. Worse, it looks like someone had been in there ahead of me and used WAY too much heatsink compound. Do you agree?

So, I have three concerns:

1. A number of semi-bad to bad solder joints, easily solved.

2. There is some corrosion on some joints - is this a problem?

3. If there is (photo following) too much heatsink compound on the outputs, should I go ahead, clean and apply new? The white stuff looks a bit dry, and is even cracked in places. If I do clean and replace, I plan to use silicone.

P1010080.JPG

Definitely way too much thermal paste, I'm not an authority in that but I believe it can actually hinder heat transfer to the heat sink. Just like the commercial on TV would say years ago… Just a little dab will do ya.

I have Wilson audio speakers and they use the dreaded resistors to protect the drivers, which isn't necessarily a bad idea but mine are hidden inside of a hatch is on the bottom of the speakers. It wouldn't be bad with your normal speaker, but these beast are 230 pounds apiece, and every time I blew a resistor which was getting a little frequent because I like to turn the volume up I had to flip the speaker over, or lay it on its side and replace the resistors. There's four of them but only to have given me trouble.

I bought some resistors from Mouser, and I was told that a little bit of difference in specs was going to be in inaudible and it was, and evidently Wilson had some proprietary resistors made. Anyway I drilled some holes in the hatch, and ran the mid range and tweeter resistors outboard using some good thermal paste on a better heat sink with a couple little fans… end of story never overheated again. It was really surprising and how hot does resistors came when I started the pump 100 W or more through the speakers, actually burn your finger.

Anyway if that's going to heat sink, not that you don't know what you're doing but I would use some good thermal paste and just put a little dab on there I think the kind I used is noctura available on Amazon, I hope that's the right spelling but they also make computer fans.

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I had the time today, so I cleaned the transistors first, using a small screwdriver to start, and after that, Q-Tips, tissues and pipe cleaners. Then, on to re-flowing a few solder joints, most importantly one of the input jacks. Then, I pulled the covers off the speaker relays, made sure they operated correctly and cleaned the contacts with 220-grit sandpaper soaked in DeOxit - just a few swipes.

Now, everything works and sounds right...right away, not after half a minute, and the static-like noise is gone.

SUCCESS!!

Thanks to all for advice and help!

P1010081.JPG

I had the time today, so I cleaned the transistors first, using a small screwdriver to start, and after that, Q-Tips, tissues and pipe cleaners. Then, on to re-flowing a few solder joints, most importantly one of the input jacks. Then, I pulled the covers off the speaker relays, made sure they operated correctly and cleaned the contacts with 220-grit sandpaper soaked in DeOxit - just a few swipes.

Now, everything works and sounds right...right away, not after half a minute, and the static-like noise is gone.

SUCCESS!!

Thanks to all for advice and help!

View attachment 73565
congrats!