Power Supply??

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Got home last night, turned the power strip.on, hit the pushbutton on the front of the PC......and nothing. The green light on the back of the cabinet ( the power supply module) is flashing. I will test the pushbutton switch and pull a harness and test some ps voltsges......anything else

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Got home last night, turned the power strip.on, hit the pushbutton on the front of the PC......and nothing. The green light on the back of the cabinet ( the power supply module) is flashing. I will test the pushbutton switch and pull a harness and test some ps voltsges......anything else
Most likely suspect Lee. It is the guardian at the door preventing all those nasty surges, brownouts and lightning strikes from gaining entry.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Interesting that it failed at turn on, or not I guess. It was totally isolated. Should I have output voltages on the ps before I hit the on button?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Interesting that it failed at turn on, or not I guess. It was totally isolated. Should I have output voltages on the ps before I hit the on button?
On the standby, yes Lee.

There generally is a standby as is prevalent on most modern electronic elements. The circuits powered by standby are always alive as long as it is plugged in. That circuitry enables the other logic in the power supply when the power button is depressed. The days of a real power switch are mostly gone.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Ok, we shall have breakfast and proceed. Janis old computer is only 4 years newer than mine, I'm guessing it will probably work if needed...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Swapped out the power supply. Powers up, now I get a " Reboot and select proper boot device "

Say what???

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Swapped out the power supply. Powers up, now I get a " Reboot and select proper boot device "

Say what???
That means that your NVRAM battery was dead Lee...lost its prior settings. Simple to reset it up but you should find and replace the coin cell that holds up the NVRAM

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Simple??? I have no clue....
During the boot sequence before Windows boots, the BIOS is in charge of the screen messaging (black and white text). Your should see flash by "press F(something) key to setup." The function key varies by machine manufacturer.

It will allow you to choose all your basic settings that are determined first by the BIOS in your machine.

It is complaining that it cannot find a valid Windows Boot device.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
F1 Is System setup, Pushed That AND This Is What I have...

Well based on time and date being accurate, it looks like it did not lose the battery.

Weird that you have 3GB of memory installed. Skips bank 1. Usually they go in even amounts. Your boot device should be the ATAPI drive on CH3.

Did you tab down to that setting and expand it?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I entered on 3rd channel device it then went to device specs, I saved and exited, and it went into windows...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I entered on 3rd channel device it then went to device specs, I saved and exited, and it went into windows...
If you have 4 memory DIMMs installed, it is not recognizing one of them Lee. You should investigate and find out why.