(Possible) score- Pioneer SX-580 receiver

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I know nothing about this model specifically; found on Craig’s for $50 and I should collect it Monday.

Is it worth $50?

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
20wpc. Will be a bit small from what you’re used to having, but good for a bedroom system. Most likely a darlington output stage, I worry about those when using 4Ω speakers, potential burnout? (Tell me if I’m wrong about that…)

I have an SX-780 in my living room, 50wpc, used with Cerwin Vega VS-120 speakers, a 4Ω 50w resistor inline to increase impedance to 8Ω. I use it while watching movies. AM/FM section is out of whack, but I hate radio so I don’t care. It’s good, “Shpongled” quite well in the living room during a fungus excursion. In retrospect, an integrated amp would have served my purpose better. I paid $75 for it, and I’m getting my buxworth. I’d go for it at $50.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
20wpc. Will be a bit small from what you’re used to having, but good for a bedroom system. Most likely a darlington output stage, I worry about those when using 4Ω speakers, potential burnout? (Tell me if I’m wrong about that…)

I have an SX-780 in my living room, 50wpc, used with Cerwin Vega VS-120 speakers, a 4Ω 50w resistor inline to increase impedance to 8Ω. I use it while watching movies. AM/FM section is out of whack, but I hate radio so I don’t care. It’s good, “Shpongled” quite well in the living room during a fungus excursion. In retrospect, an integrated amp would have served my purpose better. I paid $75 for it, and I’m getting my buxworth. I’d go for it at $50.
Mark, far as I know the 7 series is the one that has a problem with these two transistors. They get damn hot and start melting the solder, otherwise they are really nice units. I have taken them down, re soldered the legs and added some larger/taller heat sinks in the past and never had another problem with them. Just so you know in case that happens to yours and yes, 4 ohm speakers and loud play will cause smoke.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Don't be dissuaded by the low power output of some of the entry to mid-powered vintage receivers. At moderate listening levels, with efficient speakers, you should be content with the sound.

That's a good buy for the Pioneer SX-580.

I picked up a mid-70's vintage Realistic STA-20 receiver this past week. It's rated at 7 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo). I hooked up Energy Eclipse speakers to it and patched in - another thrift-market buy - a Yamaha dual-well cassette deck and had it playing for a few hours each day after work. Can't be happier!

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I have a Pioneer SX-680 I bought about 15 years ago for a downstairs bedroom system. I just looked up asking prices for working SX-680s on hifishark. Makes my $15 purchase price a huge windfall should I decide to part with it.

I, also, brought up my rat-rod (a rescue receiver) Pioneer SX-450 from storage. A bit of peeling vinyl on the side panels and some corrosion evident on the inside from being in a damp basement, prior to me owning it. I traded another component for it about four years ago, as I sort of felt sorry for how it looked and its past history.

Nando.

Miracle Mile

Get it J!M...

It is worth those 50 bucks.

I bought my SX-424 years ago in thriftstore for only €5,00....

Some serious issues showed up with it last year and I've sold it to someone (for a decent price) who wanted this piece for his collection:

Still love this piece.....

Elite-ist

Staff member
I haven't had any of my pictures make IOTW since I was last banned from TH in December 2019. Before that time, I had a number of my photos make the TH forum's front page.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I took this photo a short while ago. Foreground: Rescue Receiver Pioneer SX-450 on the left, 1976 Realistic STA-20 in the middle, Yamaha KX-W162 dual-well cassette deck playing Best Of Burton Cummings pre-recorded cassette. Background: Mint pair of Realistic Minimus 2.5 speakers purchased, yesterday, for $4 each.

20211009_102802 (2).jpg

Nando.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Man, that Realistic receiver sure looks like it's based on those 70s Sherwoods I like so much. Nice stuff!

Edit: just got my curiosity up. Just looking at an STA-46 Realistic on the 'bay, and it's got to be a rebadged Sherwood S7100. Looks just like my 7100.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
I have been a big fan of Realistic gear since the 70's. One of the nicest receivers I had - then sold - was an STA-2080. I sold it on consignment at Innovative Audio and apparently a buyer for movie props bought it for use in a movie series.

At IA, after a new custom-wood case was built and installed on it. Photo courtesy of IA:

thumbnail_DSC09111_zpshhfeduc3.jpg

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Man, that Realistic receiver sure looks like it's based on those 70s Sherwoods I like so much. Nice stuff!

Edit: just got my curiosity up. Just looking at an STA-46 Realistic on the 'bay, and it's got to be a rebadged Sherwood S7100. Looks just like my 7100.
Bob: I still have my Sherwood S7100 parked on one of the downstairs storage shelves. But, I do see the similarity between it and the Realistic STA-46.

Nando.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Mark, far as I know the 7 series is the one that has a problem with these two transistors. They get damn hot and start melting the solder, otherwise they are really nice units. I have taken them down, re soldered the legs and added some larger/taller heat sinks in the past and never had another problem with them. Just so you know in case that happens to yours and yes, 4 ohm speakers and loud play will cause smoke.
Yes, internal evidence of that. I had to replace the relay, looks like the outputs were replaced. Looked a little sloppy inside.

Thanks for confirming the 4Ω issue, the manual says 4 - 8Ω in only one place, everywhere else says 8. Lower impedance = easier current flow = more heat.