Poll: Which sound better ? Klipsch or the JBL's ...

Poll: Which sound better ? Klipsch or the JBL's ...

• Total voters

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Watch this entire video and then vote.

Afterwards, post a comment as to why you like the sound of one over the other ...

Obviously, if you have limited fidelity computer speakers, and we find out ... you will be scorched earth ! (j/k)

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
< OR >

Obviously, if you have been Sphongled at high altitude and try listening with a smart phone, and we find out you voted while being chased by a fluorescent, one-eyed people eater ... you will be scorched earth !

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Don't look at me...I have a Pioneer SA/TX-6500 II pair and one Minimus -7 in black with a similar white RCA from the Shack in here and a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 4s and two Marantz Imperial 5s with all sorts of alternate backups for the living room.

And I've been jamming THIS...

Look at the producers, Steve Barri and Michael Omartian and you KNOW why this hit #1 in 1975.

Oh, and let's not forget the songwriter, Barry DeVorzon.

TV shows had excellent theme songs back then.​

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
And I'd love to hear what they'll do with THIS...

God if there isn't an 808 partying too hard somewhere in there... :smurf: :smurf: :smurf:

orange

Tagline
And if HAL had heard this I think he would have just chilled...

Funkmoses could have at least made the meters move to the song though.

orange

Tagline
< OR >

Obviously, if you have been Sphongled at high altitude and try listening with a smart phone, and we find out you voted while being chased by a fluorescent, one-eyed people eater ... you will be scorched earth !
Hey, I brew my own now and then, I was always with Larrt.

mlucitt

I want the bottom of the Klipsch's and that awesome horn from the JBL's. Plus, for a demo I need some vocals. Especially the female voice, it is very hard to reproduce accurately.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
"Symbiosis at its finest" I had that once in the seventies. Good thing for the free clinic on campus.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I like em both but the Klipsch sound more natural across the spectrum to my ears.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hard to vote on a recording played back through speaks and then miked again to a recording only to be played back again on another set of speaks...

The mike is not your ears...

BlazeES

Tagline
---
//clapping// - I was waiting for a purist point-of-view Joe. Thx !

I still think you can make a qualitative judgment being that everything is equal - albeit I would never make a serious buying decision this way.
And I question the quality of class D amplification, the quality of the microphone and even the room variables that the mic picks up.

I have Bose computer speakers that are decent. And when I switched to headphones my listening perception stayed the same, so at least there's that.

And my devil's advocate position is this: There's always a transducer (+ other stuff) involved with capturing sound.
So this little experiment has a longer chain ... but nonetheless equal down the line.

Last edited:

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
OK, I listened. Given the filter of my own speakers, I thought the Klipsch sonded better, as they should, being not quite twice as expen$ive as the JBL product. I thought the JBL's were a bit "whooshy." Gently used speakers, in good condition, are a better buy than either, IMHO.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Here's an idea:

Pass around the same CD, microphone and CD recorder among the Phoenix members, have each one record his/her main speakers, and we can all do a massive comparison.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
OK, I listened. Given the filter of my own speakers, I thought the Klipsch sonded better, as they should, being not quite twice as expen$ive as the JBL product. I thought the JBL's were a bit "whooshy." Gently used speakers, in good condition, are a better buy than either, IMHO.
That's interesting, because I heard /what I perceived to be/ more precision from the JBLs, yet in an unnatural way ... if that makes any sense.

And I agree with you on whole gently used thing.
It's just like buying a car and loping off all that instant, depreciation margin, right from the botton-line when you go used.
B-stock, slightly blemmed is a good way to go as well...

Last edited:

Lazarus Short

Tagline
That's interesting, because I heard /what I perceived to be/ more precision from the JBLs, yet in an unnatural way ... if that makes any sense.

And I agree with you on whole gently used thing.
It's just like buying a car and loping off all that instant, depreciation margin, right from the botton-line when you go used.
B-stock, slightly blemmed is a good way to go as well...
I think I would tend to like the JBL's right away, but before long, ear fatigue would make me prefer the Klipsch.

orange

Tagline
When you are listening to KC and the Sunshine Band and Billy Preston on the radio, I suppose that watching a speaker test on You Tube where I have to usually perform surgery on the audio if I rip it because it's like reading the warnings on your medications while stoned (I've never actually tried this and don't plan to nor do I plan to get smoked before being buried)...I'm cutting down on all those grains of salt too...

And the ice cream truck had an 8 track cartridge of all those dingy bell tunes with enough wow and flutter to leave Cheech and Chong in AWE...

mlucitt

THAT, is why I like those horns... The Klipsch's had a tighter bottom end, and I like that for normal listening levels. At face-melting levels, I might prefer the JBL's because they do tend to stand up very well under extreme listening conditions. This is why you see JBL's on (and above) the stage for "professional sound reinforcement."