PL700b vs 700b WOPled

philinear

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Hi everyone,

I'm the proud and happy owner of a Phase Linear 700b which has been brought back to life by Mr Alain Limas here in France.

I'm now considering going the full WOPL way but with one concern. My question is, how does a 700b WOPL sounds like compared to a 700b like new? What does the full complementary rewiring and last revision driver board brings in terms of sound character?

I love the sound of the 700b as it is now with it's warm and meaty tone, is going the full WOPL way will change the sound in a more neutral and detailed state, or does it just improves the specs keeping the same sound signature?

thx for your inputs

cheers

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
One of Joe's major concerns was keeping the Phase Linear sound signature. The basic topology is the same, just implemented in the best way possible with the finest components available.

If you like the original PL sound, you'll LOVE the sound of a WOPL......

philinear

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Hi,

thank you for your feedback.

I guess I'll have to investigate further more, and maybe try to find someone who has gone this way already here in France

cheers

philinear

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Interesting...

if there are any on this forum, I zould love to talk to them and eventually listen their WOPL and compare with my stock one.

philinear

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
thanks mate,

I'll check with him, I don't want to do anything before i can hear one. Mine has been completely gone over by Alain and is already sounding better than original. My guess is maybe rewiring it in full comp will improve it a bit more, but maybe not by much compared to now.
BTW, I'm now using Epcos Sikorel as power capacitors, and boy these are incredible:hello1:

Confusing at first since they have less capacitance and are smaller, but still they are much powerfull and dynamic than Nippon Chemi-con

Last edited: