PL700 WOPL info needed

Floyd Loonie

New Around These Parts
Tagline
If it's to loud-You're too old!!
My PL700 needs repairing and I am looking into my options and seek advise. I have a first generation PL700 that is stuck in protection mode. I've never investigated doing a WOPL upgrade prior to now because I have been very happy for the last 16 years with my amp and the PL2000 pre-amp I use with it. But now the amp has died and I need advice. Do people upgrade the original series PL700s? Or is that mainly done to the "#2" and "B" models that seem to be more highly reguarded by fans of the brand.. Perxonally, I've always wanted the original version that I fell in love with as a 20 year old in 1970 but could never afford back then. I understand the later versions are priced higher, but is that based on cosmetic factors, or the quality of the music produced?? I want very much to get my amp repaired, but I don't know if it is worth going the WOPL route or a regular repair + rehab type of fix?? I'd appreciate hearing some opinions from those of you that know more about the pros and coms of how is best to proceed... OR should I just buy a new Plye amp?? LOL!!! (THAT'S A JOKE!!!!!)

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Appreciate the joke!:p
Are you handy with electronic tools? Soldering iron?
Honestly.. don’t repair it, gut it and rebuild it. It is a complex job, might stretch your patience (you might even teach a sailor some cussing that he couldn’t imagine), and last of all, not cheap but very worth the bucks.
Original 700 should be compatible with the kits, but someone check me on that, I think there was an issue with backplanes being too big.

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The original PL700 has a limited set of upgrades available. Unfortunately the original is NOT compatible with the backplane upgrade which is one of the most noteworthy upgrades because it converts it to full comp operating mode.
1632450726021.png

Attachments

mlucitt

Floyd,
Gepetto is the talented audio engineer that is responsible for bringing the Phase Linear amps back from the dead. Referencing his upgrade list above, this is what it means to you:
Item #1 is a refresher, your main power supply capacitors have reached end of life (15-20 years). This upgrade will ensure your power supply can deliver the power your amplifier needs.
Item #2 Is what will get your amplifier out of permanent protection mode. The upgraded Control Board is a major improvement from the state of the art that Phase Linear designed and built in the early 1970s. And it is a work of art. It comes in kit form, but the instructions are clear if you are handy with a soldering pencil. If you are not, there are people here that can assemble the 40 diodes, 80 resistors, 36 capacitors, 26 active components, and 60 pieces of hardware on the Control Board.
Item #3 is the same as #2 with the addition of Phoenix edge board connectors with screw-in contacts that make the Control Board easy to install because soldering the 27 connection wires is not needed. You will just strip 3/16" of insulation, insert the wires, and tighten the screws.
Item #4 and #5 will bring new life to your tired amplifier. The power transistors that Phase Linear used are like fossils in the archeology of electronics. The new On Semi MJ211996G power transistors have better specs, closer tolerances, and much more quality control. The difference in sound quality and power will surprise you. You may not think it even sounds like your old amplifier, the improvement is staggering.
Good Luck!

Floyd Loonie

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Floyd,
Gepetto is the talented audio engineer that is responsible for bringing the Phase Linear amps back from the dead. Referencing his upgrade list above, this is what it means to you:
Item #1 is a refresher, your main power supply capacitors have reached end of life (15-20 years). This upgrade will ensure your power supply can deliver the power your amplifier needs.
Item #2 Is what will get your amplifier out of permanent protection mode. The upgraded Control Board is a major improvement from the state of the art that Phase Linear designed and built in the early 1970s. And it is a work of art. It comes in kit form, but the instructions are clear if you are handy with a soldering pencil. If you are not, there are people here that can assemble the 40 diodes, 80 resistors, 36 capacitors, 26 active components, and 60 pieces of hardware on the Control Board.
Item #3 is the same as #2 with the addition of Phoenix edge board connectors with screw-in contacts that make the Control Board easy to install because soldering the 27 connection wires is not needed. You will just strip 3/16" of insulation, insert the wires, and tighten the screws.
Item #4 and #5 will bring new life to your tired amplifier. The power transistors that Phase Linear used are like fossils in the archeology of electronics. The new On Semi MJ211996G power transistors have better specs, closer tolerances, and much more quality control. The difference in sound quality and power will surprise you. You may not think it even sounds like your old amplifier, the improvement is staggering.
Good Luck!
Mlucitt- You guys are wonderful the way you help a new kid on this forum!!! I've got a headache from trying to decipher all the info on the White Oak website, and your deciphering of that list is a God send!! Maybe I'll be able to sleep tonight after all. I've been soldering stained glass for 20 years, but those White Oak connector strips look like they are the way to go for this project!! I found a local shop and the owner has agreed to help fix my amp, I hope he is up to the task, but if not- I am glad to hear there are a group of guys here that can assist me if needed!! :) THANK YOU AGAIN!!

Floyd Loonie

New Around These Parts
Tagline
The original PL700 has a limited set of upgrades available. Unfortunately the original is NOT compatible with the backplane upgrade which is one of the most noteworthy upgrades because it converts it to full comp operating mode.
View attachment 54399
View attachment 54399
Gepetto- Thank you very much for providing me with the list of parts I'll be needing!! I appreciate the help you have given me in my quest to get my amp working again!! :)

Floyd Loonie

New Around These Parts
Tagline
WOW!! Looks like I'll have to figure out how this forum works!!!! I send a couple of THANK YOU replys--- and the correct area pops up where I guess I should have been using all this time!!!! DUH!! At any rate, please know that I appreciate the help I've been given!!! This is a wonderful site!

Floyd Loonie

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Appreciate the joke!:p
Are you handy with electronic tools? Soldering iron?
Honestly.. don’t repair it, gut it and rebuild it. It is a complex job, might stretch your patience (you might even teach a sailor some cussing that he couldn’t imagine), and last of all, not cheap but very worth the bucks.
Original 700 should be compatible with the kits, but someone check me on that, I think there was an issue with backplanes being too big.
I appreciate the concern Mark> actually I lost a lot of my dexterity when my shoulder was amputated 10 years ago, I feel fortunate that I got to keep the arm, but without a decent pivot point= I tend to be less than precise with delicate maneuvers and swishing hoops from half court!! LOL! :) I found a TV/audio shop owner to repair the amp, I hope that works out well but at this point in my life, I don't sweat the small stuff--- at least until it gets HUGE!! LOL!!!:) You guys are most kind to newcomers on this forum and I appreciate it very much.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Okay, then- even if you can’t upgrade the backplanes, you can upgrade the transistors and feed them with a new driver board. The driver can be assembled for the old output compliment as well as the new.
GET NEW CAPACITORS!
Also, install the Watts Abundant DC protection circuit- many on this forum will tell you that their speakers have been saved from a huge DC rush from an output failure. I’m one of them.

MarkWComer

Tagline
> actually I lost a lot of my dexterity when my shoulder was amputated 10 years ago
Now that is unusual.. I was a certified orthotist/ uncertified prosthetist for ten years, and there was a case of a badly crushed knee. The surgeons saved the foot and raised the ankle joint to the level of the knee in order for the patient to control the prosthesis. The joint had to operate in the reverse direction to mimic knee action, so there was a backward- facing foot at the end of the thigh. It worked!

Many upper- extremity amputees reject their prosthetics, a hook comes nowhere near the functionality of a God- given hand, and the magnificent “bionic” hands cost as much as a house. Insurance plans often reject coverage for them.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Okay, then- even if you can’t upgrade the backplanes, you can upgrade the transistors and feed them with a new driver board. The driver can be assembled for the old output compliment as well as the new.
GET NEW CAPACITORS!
Also, install the Watts Abundant DC protection circuit- many on this forum will tell you that their speakers have been saved from a huge DC rush from an output failure. I’m one of them.
Further upgrades to the original PL700 are possible if an investment is made in a new chassis and new heat sinks. Then you can make it act like a 700B or Series 2 while still looking like an original 700.

Floyd Loonie

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Now that is unusual.. I was a certified orthotist/ uncertified prosthetist for ten years, and there was a case of a badly crushed knee. The surgeons saved the foot and raised the ankle joint to the level of the knee in order for the patient to control the prosthesis. The joint had to operate in the reverse direction to mimic knee action, so there was a backward- facing foot at the end of the thigh. It worked!

Many upper- extremity amputees reject their prosthetics, a hook comes nowhere near the functionality of a God- given hand, and the magnificent “bionic” hands cost as much as a house. Insurance plans often reject coverage for them.

Yeah, I'm fortunate to have lived through my journey to hell, but medical bills have destroyed my finances and absorbed my life savings and then spit me out a broken soul that will crawl to the finish line, But if I can turn up the volume and piss off people 2 blocks away, I'm a happy guy--Which is why I miss my PL700 so much! :)
I may not always listen to Metallica, but if I do, so will my neighbors!

Is it possible to edit or delete a post to you after you read it?? I wrote about what happened to lose the shoulder, but it's not something I'd want to leave posted on this wonderful forum as a long term public announcement regarding my situation. I saved it elsewhere in case I t is of interest to someone with your background. It's a rather unusual story that you may or may not want to read. I have never wanted to push my story on anyone that

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yeah, I'm fortunate to have lived through my journey to hell, but medical bills have destroyed my finances and absorbed my life savings and then spit me out a broken soul that will crawl to the finish line, But if I can turn up the volume and piss off people 2 blocks away, I'm a happy guy--Which is why I miss my PL700 so much! :)
I may not always listen to Metallica, but if I do, so will my neighbors!

Is it possible to edit or delete a post to you after you read it?? I wrote about what happened to lose the shoulder, but it's not something I'd want to leave posted on this wonderful forum as a long term public announcement regarding my situation. I saved it elsewhere in case I t is of interest to someone with your background. It's a rather unusual story that you may or may not want to read. I have never wanted to push my story on anyone that
You can edit your posts all you want after you post them, including deleting them. Just use the edit or delete keyword below the post that you want to alter.

Floyd Loonie

New Around These Parts
Tagline
GET NEW CAPACITORS!
I appologize for my ignorance, but when you say "GET NEW CAPACITORS" are you referring to the HUGE filter caps- or The little hat shaped output caps that live on the heatsink all lined up between the fins??? Although I have no doubt that both types are in sad shape and need replacing along with most components! I really appreciate all the advise you guys are providing, as I want to have a reliable amp when it's done. :)

MarkWComer

Tagline
I appologize for my ignorance, but when you say "GET NEW CAPACITORS" are you referring to the HUGE filter caps- or The little hat shaped output caps that live on the heatsink all lined up between the fins??? Although I have no doubt that both types are in sad shape and need replacing along with most components! I really appreciate all the advise you guys are providing, as I want to have a reliable amp when it's done. :)
Yes, the huge power supply capacitors, about the same size as a beer/soda can. The “little hats” are your output transistors.
Ignorance? You haven’t seen some of my posts- especially at the beginning. I was set straight on a couple hundred things…

Last edited:

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Floyd, I’ve done a 700/1 as you have. Mine was built quasi-comp (did not use White oak back planes as they do not fit 700/1), replaced the power supply caps and rectifier, white oak driver board and replaced outputs. It sounds great, even without the back plane upgrade it’s silent with no input signal. The parts were top notch, great instructions and support too. I am fixing a minor problem (of my own doing) right now but I wouldn’t hesitate recommend you to fix up your amp even being series one.

pic related “Tim”

Attachments