PL400 glad I found this forum.

GaryCooper

Journeyman
Tagline
X usaf electronic tech.
Yes I'm glad I found this forum makes me feel all fussy inside. Just recapped my pl14a lost left channel found out it was transistor. Also had a shorted driver. Not knowing better the right side I left alone installed 2nsd555 in all 8 slots took out q8,r26,27,32.
On order mean time I replaced driver's and outputs with matched set of mj's I bought years ago when bought the amp in case. What came out were 410s with xpl909s one 410 shorted so I thought as long as they were all same it was ok ? Glad to read the wealth of knowledge on this site. Boy what I've been missing.

GaryCooper

Journeyman
Tagline
X usaf electronic tech.
Yes I'm glad I found this forum makes me feel all fussy inside. Just recapped my pl14a lost left channel found out it was transistor. Also had a shorted driver. Not knowing better the right side I left alone installed 2nsd555 in all 8 slots took out q8,r26,27,32.
On order mean time I replaced driver's and outputs with matched set of mj's I bought years ago when bought the amp in case. What came out were 410s with xpl909s one 410 shorted so I thought as long as they were all same it was ok ? Glad to read the wealth of knowledge on this site. Boy what I've been missing.

Attachments

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Attached is the 400 manual read it cover to cover. Re-read the troubleshooting sections and service bulletins. See the bulletin that suggests only certain transistors (RCA 410) for the drivers. The channel will oscillate at high frequency with with Motorola MJXXX and 2SD555 used as drivers.

The input transistors, Q1-Q4 seem to have a high failure rate due to corrosion of leads inside the package. If the leads have turned black they are trouble.

Attachments

GaryCooper

Journeyman
Tagline
X usaf electronic tech.
Thanks guys for the info I'm confirming everything this time before firing up you say 100 watt just missed a 8 fin 400 ebay 235.00 not working burn resistor pl14a(b) board

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
kinda need to remain cautious...i was advised that some of these vintage were attempted to repair...and either became frustrated or too expensive to continue...and then sold on ebay...that is very true...
i have bought maybe 10 amps in the last 2 years...one came here with meters that were destroyed by someone trying to fix them as they were opened when they arrived...another i honestly believe was a hodge podge of parts/pieces to get it sellable...that one was wicked...
i had a bunch of parts and since i am retired i had plenty of time...i also appreciate the electronic lessons that i am learning...
good luck...it is an addicting hobby....lolol

GaryCooper

Journeyman
Tagline
X usaf electronic tech.
I m not the first person to solder on this 14a . well so far left channel i went from B- to +5vdc on output so im going to check every diode on left channel ill check the Q1-Q4 they are so close to the board i cant get an eyeball on the bottom of them . glad it has two channels at least i have one to compare readings with. back at it .

gene french

Tagline
I m not the first person to solder on this 14a . well so far left channel i went from B- to +5vdc on output so im going to check every diode on left channel ill check the Q1-Q4 they are so close to the board i cant get an eyeball on the bottom of them . glad it has two channels at least i have one to compare readings with. back at it .
watch for pulled/damaged traces...the service manual has a trace map...i always took photos and compared to trace map...these are old and easily damaged....after changing a part...i used continuity check to and from all traces related to what i had been replacing/soldering...to assure i had good solder joint and no cracked/broken traces...
watch those wires on the bottom...they certainly will break on you from handling the board...generally i removed the wires to prevent other damage ....and then had board in my hands...take photos ..take time...its a hobby...not a race!
lololol
the servicr manual can be downloaded from hifiengine.com....
post progress pics...other eyes can help!!!
you got this...

GaryCooper

Journeyman
Tagline
X usaf electronic tech.
we have the same meter. nice speaker relay.
my right channel works like a dream bias easily adjust to 350 r20 about mid pot.
Left however i found a few shorted diodes replaced checked Qs even Q6 (2n1305) is a strange lead config laying flat ECB put in my tester reads 420, old one 1303 reads 352 . at least i have no dc on output left :(( right channel has 37mvdc.
I ordered new 410 drivers to replace 2 bad ones from set i removed so i will have good set of 410,xpl909s as back up if needed.
right now im running a set of matched MJ21196G,MJ15042G .
Thanks Gene for hanging in there with me.
im getting closer to order wo board forget this 14a. but im gonna keep plugging away till i find my issue.
FYI i did rework all the wires notice broken strands on most so cut off tips stripped and tinned reattached.

When i First fired her up with the high dc output on left i checked my bias it was like 542mv not adjustable.
Question while troubleshooting this issue should i leave the bulb unit hooked up or go to full voltage i feel like leaving it hooked up with reduced voltage 94vac at bridge input.

also I lifted a lead from D9 D10 to take out protection circuit has same problem no change.

gene french

Tagline
we have the same meter. nice speaker relay.
my right channel works like a dream bias easily adjust to 350 r20 about mid pot.
Left however i found a few shorted diodes replaced checked Qs even Q6 (2n1305) is a strange lead config laying flat ECB put in my tester reads 420, old one 1303 reads 352 . at least i have no dc on output left :(( right channel has 37mvdc.
I ordered new 410 drivers to replace 2 bad ones from set i removed so i will have good set of 410,xpl909s as back up if needed.
right now im running a set of matched MJ21196G,MJ15042G .
Thanks Gene for hanging in there with me.
im getting closer to order wo board forget this 14a. but im gonna keep plugging away till i find my issue.
FYI i did rework all the wires notice broken strands on most so cut off tips stripped and tinned reattached.

When i First fired her up with the high dc output on left i checked my bias it was like 542mv not adjustable.
Question while troubleshooting this issue should i leave the bulb unit hooked up or go to full voltage i feel like leaving it hooked up with reduced voltage 94vac at bridge input.

also I lifted a lead from D9 D10 to take out protection circuit has same problem no change.
leave the dim bulb tester on while trouble shooting...it will save your butt....
when you set the bias for the final time....it must be done on shore power and not the dim bulb tester...
your rail voltage will be low...as you mentioned the ac is low too....
the dbtester with a 100 watt bulb will restrict your current to about 1 amp....well below the 5 amp rail fuses....
if the dbtester is dimming....you can almost be guaranteed the outputs are not shorted....
and your problem is on the control board....

i did the d9 d10 trick too....no difference on mine either....it was a combo of problems...on christine...the 400 from hell....\

maybe was a typo but....
q6 is not 1305...thats q9....q8 is a 1304...
q6 is the bias chip attatched to the rear wall...
it is a 2n3403....encased in the p clamp....

take your time...

i bought a set of 400s from a contributor here...one i refurbished as an 8 fin...still using it today....the second unit was a fried 4 fin...melted traces on the control board....i converted that to the wopl....and even bought the white oak cabinet....
my first 400 was a 4 fin that used the 400c control board....i refurbished it too.....when it later gave me problems....i converted to the wopl also...\
this i have two....my metal man made me some extra fins and all of my units have the 8 fin configuration....
i really enjoy reviving the old stuff...mainly as a challenge to me....but, when i get tired...i give mr joe a call...
as of now...i have two wopls...four 8 fins.... both wopls were made with 4 fin cooling that i added the extra fins to...worked out great....
that big cabinet from joe is really nice...lot more space....bolts rather than sheet metal screws...places for the meter sensitivity switch....
pretty much thought of everything....
if / when you convert to wopl.....go ahead and get the back planes....you already have half of the outputs....you will just need the complimentary 95s....and will be full complimentary....
the biggest change i noticed was the bass was more powerful with the power supply cap upgrade....
i also got the bigger ampere rectifier with the snubber kit....
be careful....that you dont spend all of your gas money on this hobby....lololol
it is very addicting...
by gutting the two 400s....i have a bunch of extra parts to experiment with...i got extra transistors from joe also...he stocks most all....
i ended up having spare transistors for the pl14 boards....
man cant have too many parts....
lol
enjoy yourself....dont get discouraged....
this is a great forum to get help from....

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
400 manual attached. If there is substantial DC on output and no failed drivers or outputs, check Q1-Q5 and associated diodes. If the leads of Q1-Q4 have turned black, change them out. See service bulletins for differences in transistor pinouts.

Bias is last thing to check and only after everything else is working.

Attachments