PL Dual 500 and PL400 Faceplates in Black [or standard].

pennysdad

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
Dunno if anyone's aware of this, but there's a bloke on the 'Bay selling reproduction/replacement Faceplates for the Dual 500 available in either standard brushed aluminium or Black.
If you check his other listings, he also makes one for the PL400. Also in either standard or Black.
Be warned, they're not cheap but they do look like pretty good quality...

PL Dual 500 Black FAceplate.jpg PL400 Black Faceplate.jpg

Attachments

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Dunno if anyone's aware of this, but there's a bloke on the 'Bay selling reproduction/replacement Faceplates for the Dual 500 available in either standard brushed aluminium or Black.
If you check his other listings, he also makes one for the PL400. Also in either standard or Black.

View attachment 51043 View attachment 51044
look closely at the finish. The brush marks are looking quite rough. Not like OEM or WhiteOak quality I’d say. I do know a bit about this as I had a batch run off a few years ago.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
The script doesn’t look authentic. It changed for Series Two, where the original used Commercial Script, Series Two was close to, but not the same, as Commercial. I think they hired a calligrapher for the Series Two script. It looks to be vertically stretched for S/II in these photos, and miserably mismatched for the original series. Yeh, I’m a picky bastard, but would suffice if you have a faceless amp.

I know this only for the years that I worked in the printing and publishing trade. I made some T-shirts a while back, spent countless hours looking through font catalogs trying to match the S/II script, eventually taking a photo of the faceplate and tracing it with Adobe Illustrator. That typeface just does not exist!

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
One of my Clair Bros 700 II didn't have a faceplate. Seeing as it was only going to sit in a rack at home, I scanned one of my other ones, then got it printed it up then stuck that on a piece of cardboard. Then I sprayed a clear finish, and believe it or not, it come up better than expected. I'm normally a bit picky too, but for once, it didn't really bother me. It looked a whole lot better than what it was. No one was any wiser... LOL :D

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

View attachment 51043 View attachment 51044
You are correct. Does not match the original typeface...but White Oak does :) The typeface on the PL400 replica especially looks off.