PL 700 Series II Clair Brothers Amps

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Work has been all consuming but I wanted to post about the two Clair Brother amps I received yesterday and the day before - apparently one was put on a faster truck as it arrived a day early even though both amps were shipped at the same time. Perry (aka theWOPLwiffer) was looking for components and wire to use for upgrading his new stash of Phase Linear / Clair Brothers amplifiers and we were able to strike a deal and man am I one happy camper. It took me twenty minutes to unpack one amp so I know that Perry spent a lot more time packing it and it was bomb proof. These were double boxed - custom fit and arrived in great shape. Fantastic job Perry and thanks so much.

I wanted to wait until I had photos but felt compelled to let everyone here know that I'm real happy with our trade and the amps are in really good shape. As they came from Hawaii they have obviously been exposed to salt air but it is relatively minor and nothing that can't be easily dealt with. I'm not sure what direction I'll be going in with these amps but I'm leaning towards the WO backplane, WO controller and DC protect board. Time will tell. The amplifiers have consecutive serial numbers so that's another cool factor.

Thanks Perry for an awesome job in shipping these and thanks again for offering the amplifiers with an amazing history. Photos to follow.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Great score Dennis!!!

I had to go for the two d-500's from Perry, as they are so hard to get, but I think a couple of Clair Brothers amps are really cool. I would be interested in what the rail voltage is on those amps. I will be in touch with you for Caps soon. so a side bar note " I am looking into powder coating now to see if I can get something real close to the original phase anodizing color so anyone with ideas please pass them on.

NavLinear

Attachments

NavLinear

Did you try either one out yet Dennis?
Not yet Ron but the one that I took the nudies of would be the first one to bring up on a dim bulb/variac after I look it over more and clean it up some. The other one has more corrosion and will take some time to clean but overall these two are keepers.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Not yet Ron but the one that I took the nudies of would be the first one to bring up on a dim bulb/variac after I look it over more and clean it up some. The other one has more corrosion and will take some time to clean but overall these two are keepers.

I would recommend replacing the (2) 7.5K 2 watt resistors as a matter course.

Ed

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Hi Dennis
Looks like full complementary amps there

I have a button for you and there are switches on eBay for the high low meter. If you want the round style volume knobs, without flat spots I can swap you for four like new ones.

The boards look great. Have fun there

Glen

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Try the Ron method, no dim bulb or variac needed, just a set of speakers that you have peanuts into and a big swinging pair of balls. Oh yeah, and a fire extinguisher if necessary. Notice I had the speakers close by the woodstove just in case ROTFALMAO!!!!!!!!!! I figured if they caught on fire, I would not need to use kindling, just chuck 'em in and add a few logs

NavLinear

Hi Dennis
Looks like full complementary amps there

I have a button for you and there are switches on eBay for the high low meter. If you want the round style volume knobs, without flat spots I can swap you for four like new ones.

The boards look great. Have fun there

Glen
Hi Glen - yes both of these are FC. I want to keep one mostly stock (add DC protect board) at first and later make a decision to WOPL or not to WOPL.

I like the volume style knobs with the flat spot but thanks for offering. If I remove the pots at a later date I'll let you know.

The control board photos are from the less corroded amp - the other will require a bit more work and that one may go straight to White Oak control board along with the backplane board set.

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Congrats Dennis
Those are a couple of nice amps.
I like your idea of leaving one as a stocker and WOPL the other.
And the knobs: these are what was used on the FC amps according to what Ed mentioned to me a few years ago.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Hi Glen - yes both of these are FC. I want to keep one mostly stock (add DC protect board) at first and later make a decision to WOPL or not to WOPL.

I like the volume style knobs with the flat spot but thanks for offering. If I remove the pots at a later date I'll let you know.

The control board photos are from the less corroded amp - the other will require a bit more work and that one may go straight to White Oak control board along with the backplane board set.
Thanks Dennis
I had give the knob offer a try. What is the hole spacing on the rack mounts. I may have some black handles for you? I just got three sets of stainless handles to try. I will post photo later in the month of them. They may also look good on your black face plate.

Last edited: