Pioneer RT-909 Added to Collection

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hi Guys,

A pretty sweet Pioneer RT-909 arrived at my place this weekend all the way from Arizona. My Mom gets the credit for finding this gem along with several low play, 10 inch reels of Ampex 236, Maxell UD, and Scotch 207 and a box of low quality 7 inch reels.

The capstan rollers were like tar so it took several hours to clean that mess. Ordered new rollers and a belt this morning so should be working shortly. The left foot is partly broke but everything else is in nice shape.

Doing the happy dance today!

Robert

[attachment=1:3quz66jt]IMG_0682_rs.jpg[/attachment:3quz66jt]

[attachment=0:3quz66jt]IMG_0684_rs.jpg[/attachment:3quz66jt]

Attachments

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Robert: a very nice addition to your system. Once you have it rolling with tape, let us know of your impressions.

Nando.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hopefully the capstan rollers and belt will arrive shortly so one can see if it actually works!

These reel recorders have multiplied faster than the rabbits out in the yard, go figure.... The game is currently tied with TEAC 3, Pioneer 3 and the entire living room is full up...

Yes Lee, love that icing and those large metal reels......

Robert

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Been listening to the Yamaha K-2000 from Larry. WOW, it beats the socks off an off the shelf DVD player. It sounds fantastic ! And the tape Larry included had a couple of the LP's I didn't make it home from college with. Stuff I use to own, but somehow got lost in the last 4 decades. Great stuff. Was that the Shure M97xE with the upgraded stylus, Larry? I am going to listen to the entire tape again in the morning. Why did we all go to CD and leave LP's? What were we thinking? I know, no snap, crackle, or pop. but no real dynamics either...Analog sure beats the socks off digital anytime...well, I guess 99% of the time..

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
No Sutton I broke the Jico. The K-2000 is a great deck. I have no idea when I recorded that tape. If it was LPs then it was probably a Music Hall Cart. I can almost guarantee that they were CDs. I haven't recorded a record in a long time. When testing decks I throw anything in them.

Sutton you can get an analog sound from a CD. Your amps are only as good as what is going into them. What goes in must come out. Junk in Junk out. You will never realize what a set of amps can do until you start upgrading sources.

If you want I can record a CD tape for you.

Larry

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
The new capstan rollers and belt have shipped according to the email...... Sometimes waiting sucks!

I think I have all the goo from the original rollers removed. What a mess that was, should have bought stock in q-tips. Both 99% IPA and paint thinner worked pretty well. Should have taken photos....

Robert

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yep, should have. Other folks need to thread a fix or 2. I'm sure the WOPL builds are getting passe'

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
On my RT-707 I'm going to change out the head bank. Have to order some solder environmental splices, Heat gun works well. Plus the insulation melts like shrink tubing. Easy splices.

Larry

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
The capstan rollers and new belt arrived for the 909 so one step in the right direction. :)

However, while checking things out over the weekend I discoverd an issue with the capstan drive in the forward direction. It appears that one half of the H-bridge is out best I can tell thus far. I need to pull the control board to have a better look to be sure. Yesterday I had lunch with my electronic distribution buddies so they are sampling some parts just in-case. The bad is just more waiting, the good is that the price is right.

The saga continues.......

Robert

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Ok, Ok....... Here you go Lee:

The belt is original and still works, but will change it while the deck is apart.
[attachment=3:1xvdgrux]IMG_0692_Inside.jpg[/attachment:1xvdgrux]

The inside is very clean.... Note the dark spot on the vertical control board, that is where the 'H-bridge' is located.
[attachment=2:1xvdgrux]IMG_0693_Inside1.jpg[/attachment:1xvdgrux]

This is the burnt H-bridge. The x-sistor on the right is toasted.
[attachment=1:1xvdgrux]IMG_0696_Burnt_Xsistor.jpg[/attachment:1xvdgrux]

Top side cleaned up from the goo of capstan rollers which was like tar covering the head area. Forgot to take a picture of that, oops...
[attachment=0:1xvdgrux]IMG_0694_Clean_Roller.jpg[/attachment:1xvdgrux]

Robert

Attachments

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Robert: Thanks for uploading those pictures, along with a description of what is featured. I haven't touched my RT-707, as I leave it to a technician to do the work. But, I do appreciate seeing how it's done. I just don't have enough test tools and skill to undertake more than a simple repair.

Nando.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Thanks guys,

Glad that something I posted is useful. Hopefully, I'll have all the needed parts once those sample transistors arrive. Can't wait to see if this monster actually works! Now the million dollar question, where am I going to setup this thing????

Nando, Not sure how much is skill or just a fool diving into whatever happen along! Your photos are light-years better than mine so everyone has talent.

Robert

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Nando's talent is in assembling beautifully complimentary sytems and the pics to show em.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hi Guys,

Well, it was just about party time after getting this deck back together, but guess not......

Replaced the H-bridge and a couple diodes in the bridge. That went well and all the motors now spin so on to the belt replacement.

Not sure how they get those screws so tight but they do. The first two came out without much fan-fare. On to the third, not a screwdriver in the house out of the 100 or so that was long enough to fit. No problem off to the local Menards (They have most everything store) for another driver, third screw out. Now the fun, forth screw instantly stripped the head, now what????? A little thought and out comes a microsize chisel and the biggest hammer that one could fit into the frame. A couple wacks and the screw loosened just enough so out it came. New belt replaced and did not even drop those little nylon balls on the end of the flywheels.

Plug in the deck and all appears to work so close everything up and take it upstairs. It played the first tape perfectly and everything works, pretty cool. On to tape two, after a couple songs everything stops moving but all the controls appear to function but nothing moves..... So much for party-time..... :( :( :( :(

Time to print out the schematic and see if I can figure out what to try next.... My guess is asection of the power supply or a relay/switch circuit common to all motors.

Robert