Pioneer RT-701

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hi Guys,

Looks like Santa found me a little early this year...... :D :blob7: :D

This weeks find, Pioneer RT-701, Original manual, 5 lightly used Maxell UD 35-90's
[attachment=1:iyr899uj]Img_0555_rs.jpg[/attachment:iyr899uj]

[attachment=0:iyr899uj]Img_0556_rs.jpg[/attachment:iyr899uj]

Robert

Attachments

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
rtp_burnsville said:
Yippie, We have a new thread to tromp on..... :D

Robert
Nah, your just too gosh dern nice Robert :cheers: what a nice score!! Too bad it's a Pioneer tho :mrgreen: , and I don't think those Maxell reels are vertical do you :angryfire: Bad Boy!!

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Thanks.... Have been playing and recording with it this afternoon and thus far all appears to be working. I gave $240 for it, not a steal but a good buy from what one sees around the area. It appears to be setup for the Maxell tape as it does a nice job recording to it.

Hey Stuwee, so what brand should it be???? :? Don't forget I also have the Teac sitting next to it.

Another question.... There has been talk about powder coated metal reels in another thread. Do they coat the inside of the reel or just the outside?

Thanks,
Robert

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Hi Robert,

You know you have my full blessing in buying the Pioneer RT-701. I have yet to see a Pioneer RT silver series deck which wasn't in cosmetically good condition- and yours is no exception. An original OM and five excellent tapes to get you started.

Nando.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Elite-ist said:
Hi Robert,

You know you have my full blessing in buying the Pioneer RT-701. I have yet to see a Pioneer RT silver series deck which wasn't in cosmetically good condition- and yours is no exception. An original OM and five excellent tapes to get you started.

Nando.
Thanks Nando! Your positive comments about them in past conversations is what got me interested when it showed up for sale. That and I always thought they were way cool when they first hit the market. I have seen some real beat up 707's and 909's show up here, such a waste that they were treated so bad.... Ok, I need to stop looking at receivers and tape decks and focus on some speakers. Ahhh, but a silver Pioneer cassette deck would be nice too. Actually there is a CTF1000 around but it sounds like it needs belts or wheels as FF/Rew doesn't work right.

Robert

stuwee

Does it have auto bias? Adjustible bias?

My big Fostex has auto bias with a fine tune to handle different tapes, the little Teac just has a 1 or 2 switch, but I don't use that one much. I've been pretty exclusive with 10 1/2" TDK's, Audua L-3600M, GX 35\180 Bm, I have several of those. A couple unknown Maxell's I got from my TH days. And a Scotch Pro Mastering 207. They all sound pretty much the same at 7 1/2isp.

All my big reels are a brushed alloy, I don't have any powder coated ones, Nando has some IIRC, the black Technics ones, he could answer that Q.

And as much as I'm a cassette fiend, there's nothing like spinning reels to impress the buds when they come over. I have a new 'friend' I met online that might come over this weekend, he's never seen a RtR, I think he just wants to see 10 1/2" :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Stuwee, it (Pioneer) has a two position switch for bias and a second switch for EQ..... So not really adjustable in my view. The Teac on the other hand has two, three position switches.

The Pioneer appears to be better setup for the Maxell. The Teac I am not sure, as the Maxell is not dead on. I do have a reel of TDK SA that I bought from FF, I should give that a try on the TEAC (10.5 inch) reel so won't fit the Pioneer.

Which Scotch (3M) tape numbers are the ones to avoid?? I've read many not so nice things about several of their tape products. I have tried their cassettes but always thought they mostly sucked when compared to others.

Robert

stuwee

Someone who can log on at TH can do a search for sticky shed tapes, Scotch and Ampex seem to be the big offenders, tho my 207 Scotch is fine, it's a crap shoot on some, but never Maxell or TDK that I've heard. It'd be a good idea for you to search the local free ads and it wouldn't hurt to place a flyer in your neighborhood grocery store's bulliten board asking for free RtR tapes. If you get some nasty sheding ones, just pitch the tape and keep the reels. :thumbright: :thumbright:

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Fast Forward said:
I have Avionic powder coating a couple old Scotch Reels,,,I,m thinking you powder coat both sides,,will find out when I receive them
Thanks FF........ How was vacation???? Surely there are stories!!!!

Robert

Elite-ist

Staff member
Robert: begin here for a primer on tapes exhibiting sticky shed: http://richardhess.com/notes/formats/ma ... ing-tapes/

You need a Pioneer CT-F1000, Robert. It may not have the metal capability of the CT-F1250, or some of the features of it's Pioneer brothers that replaced it, but its looks and ability to record and playback cassettes is astounding. It's a sleeper in good working condition and factory-rated tune. My favourite deck... and that is including my Esoteric V-9000.

Nando.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Nando, Thanks for the link, looks to be some very good information there.... I knew about several Ampex and Scotch tapes but did not know about some of the others.

Ok, I just emailed the party that has an ad for the CTF1000..... Ha, I should just get an inventory of your toys as it would save a whole bunch of time on my part!!!! ;)

Have not scene any of the CT-99 speakers around the area.... Are there others you recommend? Yep, I know about Lee's Korners but they won't work in my living room as I only have one corner.

Thanks as Always,
Robert

Elite-ist

Staff member
rtp_burnsville said:
Nando, Thanks for the link, looks to be some very good information there.... I knew about several Ampex and Scotch tapes but did not know about some of the others.

Ok, I just emailed the party that has an ad for the CTF1000..... Ha, I should just get an inventory of your toys as it would save a whole bunch of time on my part!!!! ;)

Have not scene any of the CT-99 speakers around the area.... Are there others you recommend? Yep, I know about Lee's Korners but they won't work in my living room as I only have one corner.

Thanks as Always,
Robert
Robert,

The funny thing is: I bought the CT-F1000 from a friend on the TH forum, and didn't use the deck, extensively, until after the big Cassette Deck Shootout at Innovative Audio, this past March. My Pioneer CT-F1250 was featured in the Shootout and Gordon's Pioneer CT-F1000 trounced it in recording and playback. The CT-F1000 was the underdog and was comparable to Scott's Tandberg 3014A in some tests. Mind you, my CT-F1250 has been my workhorse for the past five years. So, that is the basis of my opinion in support of the Pioneer CT-F1000.

Speakers are very difficult to recommend. The Pioneer CS-99A is a beautifully crafted speaker. If your budget is in the $300-500 range for a vintage pair of speakers, I would buy them. I have Pioneer HPM-100s and HPM-150s.

My preference would be for the JBL L200s, or the Klipsch Corner Horns, but you are looking at over $2000 for a pair of those and enough room size to have them sound as they should. I'm looking for a pair of rare Pioneer HPM-200s.

Nando.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Robert
Do you want to come and tune up my 707? LOL I run alot of Ampex. I forget the number; but have never had SS. Maybe today I'll do the tune up. I think I have it wired up. LOL I played it once since I got it. Maybe the guys with 7" reels can send a tape around. I haven't done a mixed tape in awhile.

Larry

PS Don't let those guys talk you into buying a bunch of Pioneer gear. LMAO