Pioneer PL530 or PL570

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I have a hankering for another turntable, I like the looks of the PL530/PL570. The PL530 is selling for around $300, the PL570 for around $600.

Is the PL570 that much better, should I be looking at other tables and forget the Pioneers?

I would like an automatic table, I have two teenagers using it and feel better with an automatic table.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
PL-630, like Nando has, is a much better table than the others IMO...I have the 610.

Other than the return cam that fractures (is the SL-1900 similar?) the technics SL-1300 is a hoot for me, and it has those 'chess piece' like controls. PL-610/630 has dead-on quart lock and a meter to adjust speed by...it can be unlocked and locked again so that you can adjust better.

SL-1900 is a changer.

Last edited:

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
I have a hankering for another turntable, I like the looks of the PL530/PL570. The PL530 is selling for around $300, the PL570 for around $600.

Is the PL570 that much better, should I be looking at other tables and forget the Pioneers?

I would like an automatic table, I have two teenagers using it and feel better with an automatic table.
Well if your teenagers are playing with it I'd save a few bucks and go with the 530

Tagline
---
from the ones I have played with they are very similar, it seems to me that a difference in cart or stylus would make a much bigger impact on sound than the difference in the 530 to 570.

I love the way both look, especially when you put real wood on there.

$300 is a good price on a 530 if in good condition, people are proud of them and don't let them go cheap in my experience. You can also use a peeling faux veneer and yellowed and cracked dust cover to your advantage in price because they can look rough in that shape.

they look sweet when cleaned up though

IMG_2840.jpg

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
from the ones I have played with they are very similar, it seems to me that a difference in cart or stylus would make a much bigger impact on sound than the difference in the 530 to 570.

I love the way both look, especially when you put real wood on there.

$300 is a good price on a 530 if in good condition, people are proud of them and don't let them go cheap in my experience. You can also use a peeling faux veneer and yellowed and cracked dust cover to your advantage in price because they can look rough in that shape.

they look sweet when cleaned up though

View attachment 26460
I agree get the 530 and put the $300 savings into a nice cart for it

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Good choice on the Pioneer 530.
Stevens comments on the Technics SL-1300 is worth a consideration if you are looking for a full automatic. I have had one running
since 1976 and its still going strong. Its now being used my my older son. In the last few years, I have picked up two more and given
them to my younger son and one to my daughter. If there is such a thing as a Audiophile automatic TT, this one is high on the list imo.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
A Pioneer PL-530 is a good choice. If I hadn't purchased a PL-630, I would still have my PL-570. I sold the PL-570 about three years ago for good coin.

The PL-630 cost me a case of Guinness Pub Draft, as a finder fee for the person who tipped me off as to where to find it, and a small price of $200 dollars in a successful auction, where I was the only bidder. The 630 is still going strong, without any issues.

Nando.

Last edited:

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Good choice on the Pioneer 530.
Stevens comments on the Technics SL-1300 is worth a consideration if you are looking for a full automatic. I have had one running
since 1976 and its still going strong. Its now being used my my older son. In the last few years, I have picked up two more and given
them to my younger son and one to my daughter. If there is such a thing as a Audiophile automatic TT, this one is high on the list imo.
Agreed. I've used a Technics SL-1310 (dark grey versus silver for the SL-1300) since '75. I've cleaned the speed control pots and replaced a few electrolytic caps recently and it's still going strong.