PIONEER PD-91; this shouldn't be possible, should it?!?

Tagline
---
hey guys. yep, i did it; i just had to fool around with my cherished ELITE PD-91 CDP again.

see, as many fellow 91 owners are probably quite already aware, the U.S. 1988 PD-91 was a somewhat paired down variant
of the no-holds-barred JPN 1987 PD-3000. one of the multiple differences being a large-gauge power cable for the 3000
as opposed to the standard lamp cord gauge of the 91's power line.

well, all this time, and i just couldn't bring myself to live with that lamp cord any longer. a high-end player such as this
deserves a halfway substantial power line, IMHO, whether it makes an iota of difference in performance or no.

so, i scrounged up this really nice, really long, shielded, grounded IEC, with a cloth and wire mesh shielding/reinforcement.
clip the end, strip to bare wires, and solder into the proper places, with the ground lead spade terminated
and running to fasten on a screw on the central shielding panel for the DIGITAL OUTPUT section, which is always set to OFF,
and a large, TDK badged, snap-on ferrite filter core on the line directly inside the chassis.

well, you know what's crazy? against all logic, i swear this tweak actually affects the sound character of the player,
seeming to slice the very top of the HF spectrum off, or perhaps tame it's stridency, i'm not quite sure exactly which here,
and it most definitely appears to add weight to the LFs, and brings the mids more forward and clearly reveals details that were perhaps somewhat vaguely obscured before.

i dunno, this seems to me like i'm imaging things or something, but i did go into an orgy of disc-pulling the last couple days,
much of my most favorite, most familiar material, and the difference was palpable on every single one of them.

i really don't know; i'm honestly enjoying what i'm hearing, but i've this nagging fear that i might be ruining the player's transparency with this tweak,
and missing some of the sonic picture as a result. anyway, anyone here on these forums at all familiar with an anomaly such as this?

please share any possible opinions or observations...

Last edited:

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
It's a bigass, lowdown and funky CD player with more copper than the Denver Mint! If you like it, it's yours, John, you are the man. Keep it running.

Tagline
---
thanks!! they just don't make them like this no more. TOTL for 1987/1989, i am profusely lucky that PIONEER still keeps the PWY1004 laser unit in stock to this day,
something that unfortunately cannot be said for the overwhelming majority of top-flight 1980's Japanese super-CDPs...