Pioneer Elite PD-65--- Unchartered Territory

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Are you working on it for somebody or do you own it?

orange

Tagline
I have an '87 and a nineties Sony that play peek-a-boo but work so I power on, open, and off quickly but I gather Pioneers have a delayed shutdown (flashing -OFF-) like the laserdisc players and DVDs?

orange

Tagline
It looks like you need to unplug it in 1-2 places and remove the drive from the chassis, then replace a belt. It may have slipped off. I had an older Pioneer single disc do that.

Are you saying the tray opens but no play, no registration or that is spins and plays but the tray won't open?

Liberty Electronics on eBay probably has your read ass'y, I see lots of them in my search email, he's promarily a read ass'y and hybrid amp pack seller.

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Got a replacement laser that Chris sent with it, but can get no spin up after closing. No voltage on any motor on the tray assembly.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Just plain purdy. Looking for a service manual. Hate to go in withgout a clue.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Nearly bought one of those CDP. Always wondered what they sound like. Would probably make a fine transport even if the DAC is not so super.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
If I didn't have the Sony X7ESD, I would have added a Pioneer PD-65. Hopefully, you'll track down the problem with your friend's PD-65, Lee.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Imagine my surprise when I tried to pick up my Sony CDP, when I first found it, and it weighed more than some vintage receivers. The Pioneer PD-65 is like that, no doubt due to the copper chassis.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
And the absolute refusal of Pioneer to skimp on anything with it. Excellent build.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
They are a pretty nice CDP I had two of them about 10 years ago, but then I sold a bunch of my Pio Elite goodies

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Did you keep any manuals??
Sorry Lee, I bought them both used on ebay and of course didn't get any manuals. The good thing is I sold them for more then I bought them 5 years later. I wished I would have kept one, but when you get on a selling spree everything is fair game.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Well, ran outta stuff to avoid this. Got the manual, studying it. Not to bad when ya break it down into manageable bites. I do have to find the YEDS-7 test disc off we go.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I HAVE JUDT BEEN THROUGH INTERNET HELL!!!!!!! Jeez, trying to download and burn this test Cd ---"YEDS-7" . All I've managed to do is install file downloaderts. I'll be all day uninstalling them.