Pioneer CT-F 900 Cassette Deck

nelsress

Journeyman
This weekend I picked up a Pioneer CT-F 900 cassette deck that powers on and tries to go into FF, RW, and Play but just clicks, raises the head (in the case of play) and then stops. I've never worked on a cassette deck before, could it be as easy as a belt or is it more likely the electronic logic controls? Thanks.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Take the lid off and see. It's not a real pain in the seat like they get after the '81s (i.e. CT-7R).

nelsress

Journeyman
Take the lid off and see. It's not a real pain in the seat like they get after the '81s (i.e. CT-7R).
Thanks Orange, the belts appear to be okay, the ones I can see anyway. The shafts that actually turn the tape reels aren't turning though and a relay or switch just keeps kicking in and out and it sucked up a bunch of tape before I realized it. It seems like it may be an electronic issue as well as a mechanical one, since the reel posts aren't turning. I'm hopeful that someone on here has done some work on these units as it appears to be a fairly decent cassette deck from what I've heard. Thanks again.

Nelson

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Try turning them manually which will eliminate a sticky problem these sometimes develop. I doubt it's anything electronic and I am willing to bet those belts have issues. If one is stretched out and not keeping up with the other one, the tape will spool out until the deck detects a tension problem and clicks off

nelsress

Journeyman
Try turning them manually which will eliminate a sticky problem these sometimes develop. I doubt it's anything electronic and I am willing to bet those belts have issues. If one is stretched out and not keeping up with the other one, the tape will spool out until the deck detects a tension problem and clicks off
Thanks, that's good news! I hope you're right, changing belts and cleaning away sticky stuff is a much preferred option! I'm going to see if I can find a set of belts for it. Anyone have suggestions as to where to get a good set?

NavLinear

Thanks, that's good news! I hope you're right, changing belts and cleaning away sticky stuff is a much preferred option! I'm going to see if I can find a set of belts for it. Anyone have suggestions as to where to get a good set?
They may be a bit slow sometimes as they get a lot of orders and it's a family business but they carry top notch belts:

http://www.marrscommunications.com/

nelsress

Journeyman
eBay choices

Here's a couple belt sets I found on eBay. The first one is from a guy who I've purchased lamps for Marantz receivers in the past as well as belts for a Nakamichi BX-300 I had a while back. The other three sellers I don't have any experience with but thought perhaps someone on here may have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-CT-...294?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f3f8f3c6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CT-F900-CT-...715?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa5ed1adb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-CT-...706?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f24fb27a

If there are better places to buy belts I'm all ears. Thanks.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Check posts by Skywavebe, he's an old Teac tech that posts here. He's answered that question a few times. Marrs is good stuff and there is another place that he uses also...

nelsress

Journeyman
Check posts by Skywavebe, he's an old Teac tech that posts here. He's answered that question a few times. Marrs is good stuff and there is another place that he uses also...
Thanks Lee, I'll check that out. I went ahead and ordered from Marrs yesterday-at least I think I did, site was a little sketchy on how to order. Hopefully I'll get what I want/need! :) I'll search for Skywavebe posts tonight.