Pioneer CT-737MKII Recording problem.

Glantoir

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
He doesn't say a whole lot.
My Pioneer CT-737 MKII has developed recording problems,specifically dropouts while recording (mostly with type I tapes) and also starting to show signs of excessive wow & flutter ( I can hear this especially with simple piano music or similar) on its latest recordings.

I have been in contact with Alex as he was the only tech I would trust to work on the deck, but now that he has landed a really nice job,(and BTW, best of luck for the future Alex!) its not possible to send it to him right now.

I have been speaking with Vince recently and thanks to him for his advice

Alex said it may just need a service and new belts.
So I am willing try and give the deck a simple basic service. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I know my limitations and I would not tackle anything too adventurous, but some advice on a basic clean and lube for this machine is what I'm looking for

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=33987

I don't think the belts are the problem as they were replaced recently enough, but I could be wrong,
I think a good clean of switches and similar would be a good idea but this is where I need advice on safest and most efficient (if they are the same) way to go about this,

I don't have De-Oxit but I have Servisol Super 10 which afaik is the same thing, but just don't want to go spraying it in the wrong places.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any replies and advice.

PS: This is a copy of my post on TH's

Last edited:

Nick Danger

Veteran and General Yakker
Cleaning the switches and pots is always a good place to start, Pat. Not familiar with the SS 10, but if it is anything like Deoxit, spray, exercise, repeat. Be sure the pinch roller(s) are not glazed as this could affect W/ F.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I followed your thread at TH and it seems you've made progress, Pat.

Nando.

Glantoir

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Thanks for replies Douglas and Nando.
I had not really intended to attempt any work on the Pioneer but I'm kinda snookered in the fact that there aren't any techs I know of now that I would feel comfortable sending the deck to for repair.

I would attempt to carry out a basic service with the guiding hands of some techs here or on TH's and hopefully post up pictures of my work as I go along.

I have had some great advice from both Vince and Julius but am really tied for time over the next couple of days, and I wouldn't attempt anything that needs plenty of time and a relaxed state of mind to carry out !

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Pat: Was the capstan belt change the only thing you had to do to solve the issues you were having with excessive wow & flutter and recording dropouts on your deck?

You would have thought I might have a more modern Pioneer (90's) cassette deck, by now, but I keep finding Sonys.

Nando.

Glantoir

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Ahh, its not fixed yet Nando. I'm going to have a go at cleaning the idler as shown by Vince and see how that goes, but I'd say a new idler tyre needs to be fitted sooner rather than later!

The drop-out problem is still there, but I haven't tried cleaning any of the switches etc, as I'm not sure what is the best cleaner to use, I know everyone recommends De-Oxit,but its very rare (and expensive) over here.

I might just go on the lookout for a new tape deck as there's no guarantee the Pioneer will return to its former glory :sad7:

Glantoir

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
'twould appear not Lee!
But I suppose it is a real newbie type question.
What I wanted to do was a most basic layman type service of the electronic kind, but as this is my fav deck, I don't want to dive in there like a bull in china shop.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I hear ya there Pat. I know nothing about the things or I'd be glad to help..