Pioneer 1010 Speakers

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
A few years ago i had an outside chance to acquire a Pair of Pioneer 1010s My understanding is these were Holy Grail and hard to find, I got tired of waiting and found a pair of Marantz Imperials to Restore. The other day I was contacted by Harley Man the guy who used to do some heavy repair and also a Phase Linear Nut. He wants to know if I'm still interested in these Speaks,,,anybody here have any info or experience with these Speakers,,thanks

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I thought I knew of many of the Pioneer speakers, but this model is one I just read up on. On paper they appear to be deadly - in a good way. They aren't light duty by any means and might put away the HPM series that preceded them.

Check for more info, here: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/648968383-pioneer_s1010_speakers/

I would go for it, Robert.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
If you're talking the S-1010"s Chris in Ft.Dodge could tell ya . He's got some , along with some Dss9's, 8's and 7's, along with a lot of HPM's, which he says the DSS series and the S1010's were much better speaks...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Called Chris just now, a good average pair, low 400.00----hi---600.00 Make sure the mid tweet is good as they can be a bitch to find he says...

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I did some research on them a few years ago,,Harley man did some work on the owners equipment and these were part payment, I'm aware that the passive radiators are an odd size and a bitch to find,,I had a pair of HPM 100s and thought the low end was great but the high end tinnie and I got tired of listening to them after I re worked the Imperials I kind of liked the East coast sound they had ,,these 1010s better be out of this world for me to re-tire my Imperials,,I don.t know the Money but I doubt I'd pay more than 300.00 for them

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Scott, Chris swears by em, tight sharp bass, crystal clear highs and they will punch....takes some juice to wake em up...

chris

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
just my opinion on pioneer s1010

yes I have a pair of pioneer s1010 they are one of my favorite speakers and I have a few pair of Pioneer speakersi that 14 and a half inch passive radiator they will make some bass but it's more like an East Coast because it is passive radiator I've listened to it for quite some time enjoying very much the only speaker of pioneers I prefer over them is dss9 but when you're fortunate enough to have two spec amp and can run both at the same time it is really sweet
if they need to be reformed that's no big deal as I've don about 10 or so pair of that type of cone the PG cones are brittle but just take your time they're well worth it as far as pioneer s series go I've had a few pair like s1010 s910 s710 s510 and I liked them all very well but the DSS series sounds better yet like I said the S 1010 is one of my favorite speakers

chris

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
if you get the Pioneer s1010

if they need reformed I can help you out with that either by walking you through it or whatnot. just let me know if you get them I know you will not be disappointed they are excellent
Lee you're welcome for the post you know I'm not much of a digital guy more analog but I'm getting this shit figured out

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
if they need reformed I can help you out with that either by walking you through it or whatnot. just let me know if you get them I know you will not be disappointed they are excellent
Lee you're welcome for the post you know I'm not much of a digital guy more analog but I'm getting this shit figured out
Good to see you here Chris. Lee has lot's of good stuff to say about you and maybe one of these days you can show us one of your speaker rebuilds.

There's just a bit of typing required to get this down. See below:

Attachments

Tagline
---
i wouldn't mind a pair of these for my main system... wouldn't mind not one little bit.

while i tend to prefer the overall looks of the DSS series, i'd definitely be able to live quite happily ever after with a pair of these 1010s.

too damned bad they are so blasted hard to come by...

Last edited:

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I have to wait for the guy to get back in town,,I don't know if he's gone thru a complete Re-hab or I need to do it. I've done a few speaker fixes and am quite happy with the turn out,I can even get them re-veneered if their in bad shape,My Imperials were complete Junk before i went to work on them. I probably spent more than their worth but the end results were worth the Time, as far as power I'm sitting on a PL400, 2 Yammie M40s and a Yammie M80 so I've got the power covered,If I do the deal and wind up having to re-build them I want to stay with all original equipment so you guys will be a big help

Elite-ist

Staff member
I hope those Pioneer speakers do get picked up by you, Robert. I have to derail your thread as with Chris recently joining our forum I have plenty of questions regarding Pioneer vintage speakers. He appears to know enough about them that I have questions regarding whether he has auditioned some Pioneer speakers I would hope someday to acquire. If he catches this post, I will start a new thread regarding old school Pioneer speakers.

Nando.

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I hope those Pioneer speakers do get picked up by you, Robert. I have to derail your thread as with Chris recently joining our forum I have plenty of questions regarding Pioneer vintage speakers. He appears to know enough about them that I have questions regarding whether he has auditioned some Pioneer speakers I would hope someday to acquire. If he catches this post, I will start a new thread regarding old school Pioneer speakers.

Nando.
No Sweat always good to have a REAL pioneer expert

chris

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I hope you get the speakers to Robert because I do not think he'll be disappointed in any way shape or form like I said they're my second favorite pair of pioneer speakers and if you would like to start a thread on just pioneer speakers let's go for it as I've owned over 20 pair can have 14 on hand now I am always looking for more I just bought another pair of dss-e6 and will be picking up another pair of diss 9 this weekend and as I sit here writing this on my phone I am listening to a pair of Pioneer s-510 and I enjoy them very much too I think I some pioneer speakers were very underrated

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Weel heres the scoop I'm supposed to look at them this week He says he's done all the re-coning and has 300.00 in them and wants me to make him an offer he says the cabinets are in nice shape

Elite-ist

Staff member
It's going to be interesting to audition them. If they wow you, will you be ready to negotiate a price?

Nando.