Picked up a new toy

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I have wanted a reel to reel deck for a long time, although for the life of me the only reason I can think of is because they are cool.

I can do everything a reel to reel does from my iPad, but the ipad is not cool.

I grabbed a Pioneer RT-909 off of the list, had to drive 200 miles, but it was from a tech that services them, has all new belts and re-built rollers, calibrated and comes with a warranty.

The tape that he gave me with the deck sounds great, I recorded an album at home and it sounds terrible, I guess my ears were filtering out all the snaps and pops from the album, plus the B&O turntable has no bottom end, and not much for highs. I guess it is true, a new piece of equipment will point out the flaws in your system. Time to get serious about record cleaning, and finish (OK start) the restoration on my PL570 turntable.

20170319_194733_resized.jpg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
That's a damm good deck, especially if serviced by someone who knows their shit....

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
My 707 works but needs tensioning badly (while playing ABWH it had a bigger spat with the members of Yes than they do with each other) and my 909 just broke down one day, Nando thinks microswitches.

Damned fun beasts though, hope to have them back soon winking their blue lights at me lustily.

AHEM.

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
My 707 works but needs tensioning badly (while playing ABWH it had a bigger spat with the members of Yes than they do with each other) and my 909 just broke down one day, Nando thinks microswitches.

Damned fun beasts though, hope to have them back soon winking their blue lights at me lustily.

AHEM.
I would be happy to send you the contact info of the gentleman that sold me my deck. He seems to know his stuff, but shipping on the 909 would cost a few $$.

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I have wanted a reel to reel deck for a long time, although for the life of me the only reason I can think of is because they are cool.

I can do everything a reel to reel does from my iPad, but the ipad is not cool.

I grabbed a Pioneer RT-909 off of the list, had to drive 200 miles, but it was from a tech that services them, has all new belts and re-built rollers, calibrated and comes with a warranty.

The tape that he gave me with the deck sounds great, I recorded an album at home and it sounds terrible, I guess my ears were filtering out all the snaps and pops from the album, plus the B&O turntable has no bottom end, and not much for highs. I guess it is true, a new piece of equipment will point out the flaws in your system. Time to get serious about record cleaning, and finish (OK start) the restoration on my PL570 turntable.

View attachment 28618
I have some Reels and Tape for Sale as I seldom use mine

orange

Tagline
I got lucky with my Revox A 77 and got 7" and 10" but I only have the 7" PR-85 for my Pioneers.

Of course, a dual member (PHX and TH) sent me some Twinimage Maxell stuff a couple years ago...and I have that 10" TDK LX reel I so desired.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
For your first foray into open-reel format, you picked a nice deck. Are you using the Pioneer SX receiver's preamp section to drive the PL amp? Did you get an operating manual with the deck? If not, you should download a free copy. It will give you some important info on how to adjust the bias and eq selectors for the type of tape you are using.

Nando.

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
For your first foray into open-reel format, you picked a nice deck. Are you using the Pioneer SX receiver's preamp section to drive the PL amp? Did you get an operating manual with the deck? If not, you should download a free copy. It will give you some important info on how to adjust the bias and eq selectors for the type of tape you are using.

Nando.
Thanks Nando, yes I am using the SX-950 as a pre-amp, and using it to drive the WOPL. The SX-950 stays nice and cool that way, no problem stacking the reel to reel on top of it. I will be looking for a better way to set up the equipment, but for now that table works fine.

I did get a manual with it, the owner set it up for RMGI LPR-35 tape, hope to pick up some blank reels and buy some tapes in pancake mode and load the reels up.

orange

Tagline
I would be happy to send you the contact info of the gentleman that sold me my deck. He seems to know his stuff, but shipping on the 909 would cost a few $$.
Well, yes, I'm aware of that...it came from wkmc (Bill) in the Carolinas? (see, William? you've been away so long I can't remember). And you never saw such a packing job! Would've survived a car wreck.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
You will enjoy recording to tape and the RMGI LPR-35 tape is good stock. I, predominantly, use old formulations. That's only because I was able to buy it, inexpensively. New tape is the way to go if you are heavy into recording.

Nice collection of Pioneer gear and, of course, the PL 700 B. A PL-570 is a nice turntable.

Nando.

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I am looking for factory recorded early Black Sabbath 7 1/4" tapes if anybody has any. My Teac deck was completely recapped and serviced and sounds killer but I sold all my other tapes as they were stuff I did not really give a shit about

orange

Tagline
They're all happy and well adjusted at Casa Orange too.

tivali

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Hope to pick up some blank reels and buy some tapes in pancake mode and load the reels up.

Last edited: