Physical size of old vs new resistors

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Just an observation.

I ordered some parts, including resistors, for an RCA 9Y5 record player radio combo that was made in 1949. I found the physical size difference between the old resistors compared with the new ones startling. Resistors seem to be smaller even than they were just a couple of years ago.

The photo shows a 1/2 watt 1000 ohm resistor that I removed next to a new metal film resistor - 1 watt 1000 ohm. To me the new 1 watt resistor looks about the same size as 1/2 watt metal film resistors that I bought from a parts supply store maybe three years ago.

Has some manufacturing technique or material been adopted recently in the last little while that allows resistors to made smaller? Or am I imagining things?

IMG_5085.JPG

J!m

Tagline
BOT
No harm in going to a higher wattage rating right?

Caps have been shrinking for a while and easily two “steps” up on voltage is about the same size as older ones.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Just waiting for Joe to do revision “J” on the driver circuits using SMDs…
Noe that’s gonna be some tiny stuff!

George S.

Each manufacturer offers different series of resistors which will often be different sizes for given values. For me it gets confusing, and labor intensive looking at the data sheets and sizes. Since ordering some Yageo resistors that arrived looking like SMD with normal leads, I've kept my KD Tools vernier caliper on the bench for measuring old component sizes and ordering new. Spent a hour yesterday evening just matching three different electrolytics. Found none on Mouser, two on Digikey, one on eBay.

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
On a big project, that does take a lot of time.
I keep a 3-ring binder of different components that I have gone through, so hopefully, I only
have to measure it once. As you mentioned however, availability at the time of order can often
be an issue, then it's back to looking for compatible components.

George S.

I'm not so organized as I have little free time for the hobby. I always order more than I need, then throw the bags into boxes. Someday I hope to get organized.
A lack of stock, or lack of through hole components looks to be happening. Granted I was looking for axial caps, not a whole lot of demand for them these days. Eventually found what I was looking for, and like Jim said, the modern equivalents are about two sizes smaller than the originals.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I'm not so organized as I have little free time for the hobby. I always order more than I need, then throw the bags into boxes. Someday I hope to get organized.
A lack of stock, or lack of through hole components looks to be happening. Granted I was looking for axial caps, not a whole lot of demand for them these days. Eventually found what I was looking for, and like Jim said, the modern equivalents are about two sizes smaller than the originals.
I typically order 3x what I need. Then it’s a fishing trip to find ‘em later.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
There are test boards out there for doing multi-pin devices. Those and some junk parts and your set.