Phase Linear prototype TS200 AMP??

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Today I had a chance to look at this little amp from the Phase stack I received . It appears to be a one -off build, possibly
the prototype for the Pl200 series1 amp.
The cage is all made from perf metal. Has a aluminum back and front panel. On the front lower left someone etched
in: ReisE 5080Q (WAPL) On the back in has the TS200 I.D. in screen or transfer letters. The sides are made of wood
and finished quite nice. On the front is a little Phase Linear sticker hiding two additional holes that were drilled for some
reason or part.

I went ahead and brought it up on the DB and Variac. (I did check fuses first and they were Aok.)
then I check the DC on each speaker outputs and if I did it correctly, it does not look too good.
Left Channel : 2.6mv
Right Channel 131.2 mv.:angryfire:

Sorry for the crummy photos, I got to ask Santa for a good camera.

What do you all think I have here ?? and what should I test next
Cheers,
Mike

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Plus meter lead to positive speaker post. Negative meter lead to negative speaker posts. No input. That's a strange duck dude. And ya gotta remember the owner before the one you bought.it from worked for Phase assembling amps in the factory.

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
NUDIES................

Its really dirty inside. And its not dust but fine red dirt. So that will be my first step to try and get this stuff out.
This stuff doesn't blow off like dust. Suggestions?

I hope these photos are good enough for now Lee.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Ed is with us today, he may have some comments on this....BTW Ed is "oldphaser" here...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
NUDIES................

Its really dirty inside. And its not dust but fine red dirt. So that will be my first step to try and get this stuff out.
This stuff doesn't blow off like dust. Suggestions?

I hope these photos are good enough for now Lee.
Like those Ebay postings...from a smoke free home.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Well it is hard to say if this was something made at the factory or possibly something made by an employee at home. Some close up photos of the PC board along with the semiconductor part numbers might help. The build quality so far does not lead me to believe it was made at the factory. What else can you tell me about who you obtained this from and the history? From what I can see so far......... the output transistors are RCA's. (Phase Linear used RCA66430 and RCA66546's). The relay looks like the same Guardian relay that Phase used on the 200 series 1's and 4000 series 1 pre-amplifiers.

Ed

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Well it is hard to say if this was something made at the factory or possibly something made by an employee at home. Some close up photos of the PC board along with the semiconductor part numbers might help. The build quality so far does not lead me to believe it was made at the factory. What else can you tell me about who you obtained this from and the history? From what I can see so far......... the output transistors are RCA's. (Phase Linear used RCA66430 and RCA66546's). The relay looks like the same Guardian relay that Phase used on the 200 series 1's and 4000 series 1 pre-amplifiers.

Ed
Hello Ed, Lee can probably fill you better then I can as to the only history we have on this amp.
Did you also see my first post that has some pics and additional info ?
Here is a couple more of the boards if they help any. Thanks for all your help Ed.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
He knows Ken, so maybe he'll chat with him when Ken brings the turntable down to him..

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
He knows Ken, so maybe he'll chat with him when Ken brings the turntable down to him..
Sounds good Lee. So what do you think I should test now as to why the high DC in the one channel? I thought I would see if I could learn some basics on this one before I start on the 400II and the 700II Cylon sisters.

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Mike , with no schematics or service manual, thisa is Joe's territory, and I'm not ashamed to say it.

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I like the position of those bias pots. Easy to access at any rate.

Looks like an interesting thing, whatever it is. Would be cool if it is actually a prototype amplifier that can have it's heritage proven somewhat vs a "spare parts" build by an employee.

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
I like the position of those bias pots. Easy to access at any rate.

Looks like an interesting thing, whatever it is. Would be cool if it is actually a prototype amplifier that can have it's heritage proven somewhat vs a "spare parts" build by an employee.
Morning Thain. This amp has Heritage at any rate. If it was Just a "home build" with spare parts why would the
words TS 200 PHASE be printed on the rear panel? (See first post photo 3). This seems unusual don't ya think?
maybe Ed can find out more. I'm just curious.
I'll get it cleaned up somewhat, Deox the trim pots and see if that helps the high DC offset. I'm not too bad at fixing
Tube amps and such, but ss stuff makes me scratch my head......alot!:confused1: