Phase Linear 700B Rack Handle History

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Lee has inspired me to write some musings on the Phase Linear 700B Rack Handle history:

The Phase Linear 700B rack handles were originally obtained from Bud Industries as part number H-9152 and were listed in Phase Linear master parts list as part number 121-0026-0. It appears that they were then sent off to Okerberg Products (at 110 Main Street) in Edmonds, WA for “cut and tap” and became Phase Linear part number 144-0012-0. They were then sent off to Heath Plating for champagne anodizing and came back as Phase Linear part number 142-0007-0.

I have not had a chance to measure stock handles obtained from Bud Industries and those after they were modified by Okerberg Products. Two additional holes were added by Okerberg Products to the handles so that they would properly align with the edge of the 700B front panels.

NOTE: Phase Linear had Okerberg Products performed a lot of other services (i.e. machining and sheet metal work) for Phase Linear over the years. Okerberg Products was eventually acquired by one of its employees; Jeff Barker. Jeff is operating the company now as Optimum Precision, Inc in Lynnwood, WA.

Here is also a link to “Nels Okerberg (Oke) Lindh” obituary.

Bud Industries H-9152 center-line to center-line “mounting centers” was 3-7/8”. The “handle clearance” was 1-1/8”. (see Bud Industries 1974 catalog #174 pg 47 jpg)

Not all H-9152 handles I have seen over the years are exactly the same. The thickness around were you grip the handles were can be different. Likewise, the width and shape at the base where the handle meets the front panel can also be different. (See attached photo of (2) handles where this width is different, i.e. approximately 1.048”-1.130”). So it is best to acquire any handles in matched pairs.

Back in the mid 1990’s, I called Bud Industries and talked to them about the handles. It appears that they had long discontinued them and they were no longer available. They couldn’t tell me who their source in England was for the handles. (see photo of H-9152 handles in unopened packing).

BGW also used Bud H-9152 handles on their 750 series amplifiers. Over the years, they went from a plain aluminum finish to black anodized handles (BGW part number 9999-9152). I called BGW in the 90’s and talked to their production manager who had been there a long time. Unfortunately, she wasn’t very helpful, once I mentioned these were going to be used on Phase Linear amps. I did find out from her however that when Bud discontinued selling them the handles, they had a foundry start making them.

The H-9152 handles were also sold to the military under a National Stock Number (NSN) 5342-00-224-2628 “Handle, Drawer, Pull”.

A number of years ago, I searched the internet and acquired all the H-9152 handles that were available at that time. There are even a few surplus dealers I bought out who still haven’t updated their web sites.

Allied Electronics also sold Bud H-9152 handles from approximately 1963-1976 in their industrial catalogs. http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/catalogs_main-2.html

Allied Electronics part numbers would often change on a yearly basis. For quantities of 1-49, Pricing went from $4.14 in 1963 to $10.20 in 1976.

http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/html/1963-630/h282.html

http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/html/1976-760/h187.html

NOTE: The Phase Linear 700/700B parts list shows the following:

HANDLE: 700B, RACK NA (NOT AVAILABLE)

However, upon further research, I found the following:

April 1978 Dealers Parts Price List:

Handle 700B…. 142-0007-0 Retail $17.05 Dealer Cost $13.30

Phase Linear Item Price List 8/13/82:

142-0007 Handle: Rack Mount: 700B Net Price $13.32 Retail $26.64

The Service Department Parts Listing 1/16/84 does not show a listing for any of the parts numbers listed above as indicated in bold (at the top of this posting). NOTE: The 1/16/84 listing was at a time after the Phase Linear factory in Lynnwood, Washington closed in December 1982 and the company was owned by Jensen. For the years between 1983 and 1984, Jensen continued making some Phase Linear products in Laredo, Texas and providing some repair support.

Thankfully, Perry has been kind enough to have some reproduction handles made available to members on this forum.

Ed

Attachments

Last edited:

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I liked that. Thanks Ed, never crossed my mind that handles can have a history. I assumed PL just had them made to order for as long as they had need of them.

So Bud Industries was American and imported those handles from England? It would be an interesting bit of trivia to learn who in England made them, who their other customers were and where else they may have ended up.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
So Bud Industries was American and imported those handles from England? It would be an interesting bit of trivia to learn who in England made them, who their other customers were and where else they may have ended up.
That is correct. The handles were made in England for Bud Industries. I've made a few attempts and internet searches over the years to try and find out who made them but with no luck. I'll bet somewhere in England there are perhaps some homes with some of these exact same "drawer pulls" on kitchen cabinets.