Phase Linear 4000 Series 2

Lou_Prime

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
So I decided that I would like to hook up my 4000 to my WOPL 400 which is currently being driven by a rebuilt Marantz 3250. Before I do this I would like to recap the 4000. I've searched to the best of my ability for a parts list or a rebuild thread but wasn't able to locate anything.

Can anyone lend a hand? I really don't want to take it apart and inventory each cap.

Thanks!

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I don't have a parts list. I have a fair supply of caps so I just pull from my stock. Glen might though

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Well, it's got to get disassembled anyway. If you pull the cards and get a parts list, by the time you get done cleaning and touching up solder joints your caps will be delivered. It's fun though because you have to spec each cap out along with the measurements so they fit in the real estate available. I spent days doing that and said screw it and ordered $1000 worth of caps of all shapes and sizes.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
I just spent the last couple of hours with a magnifying glass reading the schematics and layout views in the Phase Linear 4000 series 2 service manual. I have put together a list of capacitors used in the 4000 series 2.
NOTE: On page 46 of the service manual parts list, Phase Linear did not include ceramic disc capacitors.

Perhaps someone (i.e. Perry) can double-check it for accuracy the next time they rebuild one and provide us with any corrections? There are certainly going to be some mistakes either on my part or Phase Linear's.

So take it for what it is.

Ed

Attachments

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I go by the capacitors thAt are on the boards. Especially if the unit has not been dicked with/works. Carver/PL skizmos had many mistakes, some made it on the schematics, some didn't. Besides, the part numbers will do no good and you'll need to use the calipers and measure anyway. Don't take shortcuts or use somebody's list.... sit down and do it right. Some guys may not have vision as good as yours and miss a decimal point. Dnt worry about the non-electrolytic caps. Unless they fail.

Lou_Prime

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Thanks oldphaser. I think I will use your list as the basis for an electrolytic order. Once that's in the house I'll open it up, clean it out and see what else needs to be replaced. Worst that can happen is I have some more capacitors to add to my stash.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
yep, it won't be cheap not knowing the size and lead spacing.... You gonna order several sizes of each?????

Lou_Prime

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Electrolytics tend to be smaller than their older counterparts so I'm not too concerned about size there. The others I'll order after I open it up.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I would replace the electrolytic caps first.
I have one apart at this time and that’s what I am doing. I plan on upgrading the phono section as well. My Plans not finalized for that upgrade.

Good luck

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Electrolytics tend to be smaller than their older counterparts so I'm not too concerned about size there. The others I'll order after I open it up.
I have NEW electrolytics (like 47uf for example) that come in 30 different sizes. From an 1/8" tall to 3"tall to 1/8" wide to 3 inches wide (and everything in between) with 3 different lead spacings (and throw in the 20 different sizes of Bi-polars). There is more to it than just ORDERING new style caps. your statement makes no sense. Take the time and measure or you'll be having an organ grinder and a monkey on a rope showing up with the famous circus music going.... Just saying

Oh, and throw in the 6-8 different voltage ratings per size.....

AND the axial/radial thing

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I've done piles of these pre-amps (between Carver C-4000, PL4000 (both series) and a bunch in between. Measure.....