Phase Linear 400 weal channel

azdoug

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I have a pl400 that has a weaker output on the right side. The sound is consistent but weaker in output. What might be the problem? Would a capacitor set replacement fix this?

azdoug

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Are you going by the meters or are you hearing a difference?
Both actually. I have used two different preamps and two different sets of speakers. Deoxit on the inputs that seem undersized and establish good connections.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The Phase Linear 400 service manual is actually very well written. It will give you step by step instructions for checking the obvious things. Offset, bias, load sharing as well as what transistors to check and how to check them. Rick@stereomanuals.com can provide you with a manual, he's not cheap but they are exceptional reproductions.

What do you have for test equipment?

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I have a pl400 that has a weaker output on the right side. The sound is consistent but weaker in output. What might be the problem? Would a capacitor set replacement fix this?

If you are asking if the power supply caps would cause this..no...the power supply is common to both channels...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Damn that Wow My-Dung.

azdoug

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
If you are asking if the power supply caps would cause this..no...the power supply is common to both channels...
Sorry that I'm late getting back. Maybe I am too ignorant it this point to be wasting peoples time but, are the two large Caps the power supply caps?

azdoug

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Check the "WEAL" buffer..... those shitty old ones come from cina.
Yeah.. sorry about the misspell can't see how to edit. Not sure what a buffer is, sorry. I guess my question might be: If I install the White Oak board and caps is there a good chance that this effort would solve the problem?

azdoug

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I'm thinking that I might save some money by getting some insight here rather than paying for a professional to investigate the issue. Any references to audio pros in the Phoenix, AZ area?

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
You have someone in your own backyard azdoug.....the "Sniffer".

Don't feel that you are wasting peoples time. The love of a WOPL is what drives most here. Not all of us have the "smarts" or skills or equipment to make it right. Took me over a year to figure out that I would be over my head trying to mod my PL400. Probably would have effed it up. Thanks to Lee and all I have been enjoying the best sounding system in my lifetime.

Do yourself a favor and stick around. I can almost guarantee you will find your answers. You're just going to have to put up with our crap for awhile.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Im down here in sierra vista area but if you are going to spend the money, move up to the 700. Same money to upgrade it, and more bang for the buck. I build alot of 700's but no 400's

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
THAT, by the way, is my own personal preference and i am in no way knocking the 400 builders/owners. But, if you could build a hemi or a 4 cylinder for the same cash, watcha gonna do?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yeah.. sorry about the misspell can't see how to edit. Not sure what a buffer is, sorry. I guess my question might be: If I install the White Oak board and caps is there a good chance that this effort would solve the problem?
Doing a full blown white oak upggrade will cure ALL ILLS

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Perry, I love the 400s, the 700 is only a 3dB increase in loudness so not much louder but the extra headroom is nice to have. I can near max output the Clair on the D9s, I love hearing the dog howling in the back bedroom LMAO!!!