Phase Linear 2000 Available

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
I have a Phase Linear 2000 Pre-amp available. Original condition except for the power knob I had to replace. Works great. Original wood case also comes with it. That is in excellent shape too. No scratches or blemishes. And NO. The PL700B is not for sale. (Illustration purposes only). ;)

IMG_7352.JPG

IMG_7353.JPG

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I assume it isn't free.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I sent a PM, hopefully that works.

mlucitt

I like the PL 2000, I think it sounds fairly neutral. Does anyone have an opinion regarding the sound quality or general desirability of the 2000 compared to the Series 2 3000 or the 3300?

I need to find one for about $150. That is my current preamp budget.

Last edited:

mlucitt

The Dan B pre don't trip the trigger?
I'm still trying to get the distortion under control on one channel of that pre. I have had two people look at it and they both said to replace the Line Amp daughter card, because the headphone output sounds OK, but I can not find one of those cards. I recapped the unit and changed all the transistors to match the schematics, still no joy.

The Kenwood C1 is a nice looking pre, but I have never listened or tinkered with one...

Tagline
About $200+ whatever shipping costs are based on where you live; is about what I was thinking. I think what I see these going for online is a bit high. Since no work has been done to this (as far as I can see), include the wood case, and still, $200 is pretty awesome. It’s about $150 for the Pre, $50 for the case. Willing to trade working and calibrated PL700B meters though? (I know, easier said than done). Sound fair gents?

mlucitt

Well shit bud, thought that was a keeper...
I think it will be a keeper some day. My biggest problem is that the schematics do not match the circuits because of some previous "mods" or "custom additions and deletions". I'm not sure which changes are legit because there is a "GASWORKS Modification" sticker on the front panel. If I had another working unit to compare it to, all would be right in the world.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
I'm still trying to get the distortion under control on one channel of that pre. I have had two people look at it and they both said to replace the Line Amp daughter card, because the headphone output sounds OK, but I can not find one of those cards. I recapped the unit and changed all the transistors to match the schematics, still no joy.

The Kenwood C1 is a nice looking pre, but I have never listened or tinkered with one...
I've been using a Kenny C1 for around a month now and after fixing a relay problem, giving the switches a good clean and lube very pleased with the sound, simplicity of the controls I'm using it in place of a PL 2000 Series II. Much fuller sound and wider range.
VSATT88 posted a little while back on the C1-C2 Kenwoods, he's rebuilt both so got some knowledge of them.
https://forums.phxaudiotape.com/threads/who-pushed-the-re-cap-button.8813/#post-236902

Tagline
If it doesn't generate any interest here; I'll put it up for auction for a dumb price like everyone else, but of course I wanted to see it go to a loving home with loving PL people who would take care of it. I already use a Rotel RC-1550 in my system and so does my father. He borrowed the PL2000 to use in his second system after a carver C-3xxx something blew up on him but he told me he didn't like the sound of the PL. That's all gentlemen!:)