Pentagon orders shutdown of Stars and Stripes newspaper

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
We've hit another bump in the road............................ I remember over the years, being out in the field/overseas etc..... Of only having the Stars N Stripes to read. Sux that they have to kill it. RIP Stars N Stripes

mlucitt

I remember reading the mix of official and unofficial stories in Star & Stripes during my three-year tour in Japan. It was the next best thing to receiving a month-old local paper from back home. I'm glad we still have this paper that has been in print since the Civil War.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Back in the 80's, it's all we had on the Carrier.......... No internet, no bowling alley, and mail was hit or miss when we were steaming.

mlucitt

At least you guys had the Carrier Onboard Delivery (COD) flights, we had a broken helicopter and no way to get mail, movies, or melted ice cream...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
It's a long way for a COD when we never pulled in anywhere especially my first cruise. Halfway to Lebanon, we turned around and went to Grenada, spent a week circling the island then back to Lebanon, did the Ditch (Suez Canal) into the Indian ocean, spent 30 hours in Singapore, then back to Lebanon....... We left a couple hundred sailors in Singapore since we were supposed to be there for 5 days...... The only other port we hit was The "ArmPit" of the med (Naples) on our way back to Norfolk all that for 8 month Cruise................................. Turned around 4 months later to do it all again......