Pending argument ?

Mohawk

Chief Journeyman
For some reason I got to reading up on the latest benefits of using expensive cables.

So, I'm gonna throw out a statement here and see where it goes !

"The perceived benefit from using an expensive cable is directly proportional to the amount paid for the cable."

Who want's to go first ?

M

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
There is a recent post on AK that hasn’t been shut down yet. Wyn has commented a few times with actual intellectually backed responses about what is measurable and the psycho-acoustic effects.

Bottom line is cable “properties” might be enhancing g or downgrading a flaw in other pieces of equipment in Your system.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
For some reason I got to reading up on the latest benefits of using expensive cables.

So, I'm gonna throw out a statement here and see where it goes !

"The perceived benefit from using an expensive cable is directly proportional to the amount paid for the cable."

Who want's to go first ?

M

Nothing better to do than waste time on this topic AGAIN???

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Line-level cables: The only difference I ever heard was when my not-terribly-expensive Cable Talk cables stopped passing signal. My cable collection was smaller in those days, and thus my choices were limited...so I tried a pair of component video cables. They actually sounded better than what they replaced! Now, most or all of my four home systems are cabled with component video cable, mostly Phillips and Acoustic Research.

Speaker cable: I use Monoprice in my main rig, bi-wired. I'm happy with it. I did get burned with copper-coated aluminum (CCA) a time or two, and swore off. It sounds nasty.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
I just don't "wish" to participate in a cable debate... never did that even elsewhere... and I always made my own cables by myself since the 80s, by buying decent wire and plugs, and I am just happy like that.

that said, i own a couple very cheap/thin mono jack cables for electric guitar i had got included with some device... well, if I use one of those and drop a piece of the cable on the floor then it get a percussive noise from my guitar amp, while the same doesn't happen if i repeat the test with any of my homemade ones... well, at least for electric guitar use, those cheap ones are a total CRAP! :eek:

so... maybe it's not too important that they are THAT good... but it's important that they are not THAT bad! :D

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I just don't "wish" to participate in a cable debate... never did that even elsewhere... and I always made my own cables by myself since the 80s, by buying decent wire and plugs, and I am just happy like that.

that said, i own a couple very cheap/thin mono jack cables for electric guitar i had got included with some device... well, if I use one of those and drop a piece of the cable on the floor then it get a percussive noise from my guitar amp, while the same doesn't happen if i repeat the test with any of my homemade ones... well, at least for electric guitar use, those cheap ones are a total CRAP! :eek:

so... maybe it's not too important that they are THAT good... but it's important that they are not THAT bad! :D

HUH?